My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Friday, January 15, 2016

I didn't win the Power Ball

I didn't win -- and we can only guess how many people can say those words.  Ha!  Like I even thought it would happen.  Still...you gotta buy at least one when the pot gets that big.  I'm sitting here watching one of the winners being interviewed on the Today Show.  Glad it was ordinary folks.

Looked over the Oscar nominees and realized I haven't seen even one of them this year. Now I'm going to shop around and investigate which ones I can pay-for-view at home or rent from RedBox. Here's a round-up of ones I wouldn't mind seeing, along with the rating they got on IMDB.

20 movies up for Oscar Awards

The Big Short   8.0  - Ryan Gosling
Four denizens of the world of high-finance predict the credit and housing bubble collapse of the mid-2000s, and decide to take on the big banks for their greed and lack of foresight.

Bridge of Spies 7.8 – Tom Hanks
During the Cold War, an American lawyer is recruited to defend an arrested Soviet spy in court, and then help the CIA facilitate an exchange of the spy for the Soviet captured American U2 spy plane pilot, Francis Gary Powers.

Brooklyn   7.8  Jim Broadbent
An Irish immigrant lands in 1950s Brooklyn, where she quickly falls into a romance with a local. When her past catches up with her, however, she must choose between two countries and the lives that exist within.

Mad Max: Fury Road   8.2   Tom Hardy, Charlize Theron
A woman rebels against a tyrannical ruler in post-apocalyptic Australia in search for her homeland with the help of a group of female prisoners, a psychotic worshiper, and a drifter named Max.

The Martian   8.1   Matt Damon
During a manned mission to Mars, Astronaut Mark Watney is presumed dead after a fierce storm and left behind by his crew. But Watney has survived and finds himself stranded and alone on the hostile planet. With only meager supplies, he must draw upon his ingenuity, wit and spirit to subsist and find a way to signal to Earth that he is alive.

The Revenant –  8.3  Leonardo DeCaprio
A frontiersman on a fur trading expedition in the 1820's fights for survival after being mauled by a bear and left for dead by members of his own hunting team.

Room – 8.3   Brie Larson
After five-year-old Jack and his mother escape from the enclosed surroundings that Jack has known his entire life, the boy makes a thrilling discovery.

Spotlight  -  8.3  Mark Ruffalo, Michael Keaton,
The true story of how the Boston Globe uncovered the massive scandal of child molestation and cover-up within the local Catholic Archdiocese, shaking the entire Catholic Church to its core.

Trumbo – 7.5   Bryan Cranston, Diane Lane, Helen Mirren
In 1947, Dalton Trumbo was Hollywood's top screenwriter, until he and other artists were jailed and blacklisted for their political beliefs.

Steve Jobs  -  7.5  Michael Fassbender, Kate Winslett, Seth Rogan
Steve Jobs takes us behind the scenes of the digital revolution, to paint a portrait of the man at its epicenter. The story unfolds backstage at three iconic product launches, ending in 1998 with the unveiling of the iMac.

The Danish Girl  -   6.6  - Eddie Redmayne
A fictitious love story loosely inspired by the lives of Danish artists Lili Elbe and Gerda Wegener. Lili and Gerda's marriage and work evolve as they navigate Lili's groundbreaking journey as a transgender pioneer.

Carol – 7.6   Cate Blanchett, Rooney Mara
An aspiring photographer develops an intimate relationship with an older woman.

Joy – 6.7   Joy Lawrence, Robert DeNiro
Joy is the story of the title character, who rose to become founder and matriarch of a powerful family business dynasty.

45 years -   7.4   Charlotte Rampling
A married couple preparing to celebrate their wedding anniversary receive shattering news that promises to forever change the course of their lives.

The Hateful Eight – 8.1  Samuel Jackson, Kurt Russell, Jennifer Jason Leigh
In the dead of a Wyoming winter, a bounty hunter and his prisoner find shelter in a cabin currently inhabited by a collection of nefarious characters.

Trainwreck – 6.4   Amy Schumer
Having thought that monogamy was never possible, a commitment-phobic career woman may have to face her fears when she meets a good guy.

Spy -   7.1   Melissa McCarthy
A desk-bound CIA analyst volunteers to go undercover to infiltrate the world of a deadly arms dealer, and prevent diabolical global disaster.

Concussion -   7.1   Will Smith, Alec Baldwin
In Pittsburgh, accomplished pathologist Dr. Bennet Omalu uncovers the truth about brain damage in football players who suffer repeated concussions in the course of normal play.

Empire – 7.9   Terrance Howard
A hip-hop mogul must choose between his three sons who are battling for control over his multi-million dollar company, while his ex-wife schemes to get what's hers.

Creed – 8.0   Sylvester Stallone,
The former World Heavyweight Champion Rocky Balboa serves as a trainer and mentor to Adonis Johnson, the son of his late friend and former rival Apollo Creed.

I've missed the first two episodes of the latest season of Doc Martin because I've been so wrapped up in watching this show on Netflix called 'The Making of a murderer'.  Fascinating documentary.  I'm thinking about signing up for Showtime at least long enough to watch the next season of Homeland. I borrowed Mary's Season 4 and am quite anxious to see what comes next.

Here are some Port Townsend photos I saw on Facebook that I thought were especially worthy. ...
                                                              taken by Tracy O
taken by Mark Stevens

taken by Dale Musselman

                                                            taken by Dan Haneckow

 And here's some I took of the Port Angeles harbor when Hunter and I were out and about yesterday.





 lots of lumber on ships downtown. Most going to Japan and China I suspect

 You just can't help but stop and take mountain pictures.  So pretty.







 Maddie made the Port Angeles sports section page yesterday.
Saw a picture of workmen on the old Union wharf dock in the Leader on Wednesday so I dug out some old photos of that pier.




The twins have completed their driving courses but still have several "driving" outings to do. Hunter drives my car pretty much every time we go anywhere.  He lives and breathes cars so he's a lot more comfortable behind the wheel than Maddie is.  Yesterday I had him hose down my car because the mud buildup on it accumulates way too fast and you have to be super careful getting in and out of the car or you get dirt all over your clothes.  I'm going to invest in mud flaps soon to see if it won't help a little bit.  I had to laugh when I was explaining my frustration of the mud to Hunter and how I hoped he could get the mud flaps installed for me.  He said he could and mentioned that if his truck had this, it would be considered way cool!  

Mud flaps? I asked.
No!
Mud!

Today I'm going to continue work in the sewing room.  Have been working on Sunbonnet Sue applique for this 'days of the week' wall hanging.  I'm pretty much learning as I go so hopefully, future endeavors will look more professional.  I've got to do some hand embroidery on the squares I've completed so far and I'm hoping it will look a tad better once it's all hung on the wall.  I'm still learning about my machine and needles too. (click on pics to enlarge)


Well, I guess that's about it for now. Looking forward to football on Sunday. Last Sunday I got to watch it with Jake although he was actually more interested in exploring my house. Caught him in the bathroom examining my miniature toilet collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment