My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Cookies


There was a time when I baked a lot.  Now (in my declining years) I'm finding that everything having to do with cooking preparation, baking, and clean-up is nothing but TOO MUCH WORK! But...it is Christmas and I've already let some of the other chores go by the wayside.  Christmas letter, cards, tree, decorations, big meal, etc.  Even my wrapping is being done with an eye towards speed just to get it off my list.  No ribbons, bows, cute doodads or charming little to and from tags.  Just slap on a name and throw it in the pile!  Ha Ha

Standing in the kitchen for a long period of time (and many times even a short period of time) leaves me with an aching back and looking for a chair.  I've managed to learn how to do things in  steps and pre-arranging.  Got out my recipes and all the ingredients and utensils needed.  Tried to keep ahead of the game  by washing dishes as I went.

I made two pans of fudge a couple days ago so I cut it up and wrapped up the pieces in  2 to 4 pieces each per package.  Took that colorful tray of tin foil goodies and set it in the utility room, off the garage, which stays a little cooler if I keep the door closed.  Next I made up a pan of brownies, cut them up and put in individual little bags alongside the various packages of candy I bought at the dollar store.

I decided to plow ahead and at least get the dough made for the four recipes I decided on for this year...... pumpkin chocolate chip, snickerdoodles, sugar cookies, and a new one made with a chocolate cake mix, chocolate chips, and white chocolate peppermint creamer.  An easy recipe a friend shared on Facebook from the Safeway page.
After cooking the spoon size dough, you drizzle a glaze on made from powdered sugar and the coffee creamer.  Then you sprinkle on crushed candy cane.  They're really kind of pretty.  After making these up, I went ahead and cooked the snickerdoodles.  I thought about getting all the baking done but one of the snickerdoodles ran off the side of the cookie sheet onto the element below.  House stinks to high heaven but I can't clean it up until the oven cools down.  That made up my mind to cook the last two cookie doughs tomorrow morning.

I think I might make my Port Townsend deliveries on Friday.  I should have all the packages made up by then, and hopefully, this dang sinus problem will be gone. Not sure what's going on but my eyes have been very uncomfortable and itchy.  Headache coming and going too so I'm thinking it might be weather related.  I'm looking forward to the return of rain just to see if that clears up whatever I'm dealing with.

Picked up the twins at 9 this morning and took them to school. Will pick them up at 3:30 to take them to driving school.  Tomorrow I'll pick up Hunter a second time for a driving lesson. I guess it will be his turn at school so he has to get an excused absence.  The driving school is separate from the high school and is situated downtown.

Andy and Mary let me bring home my Christmas present early when I was over there last weekend.
I couldn't believe it.  A smart TV.  Damn thing is smarter than I am too. Hunter hooked it up so I can at least watch it but I have to learn how to do everything else and I'm a slow learner from ebooks. Right now all I can do is scroll until I find something I want to watch.  Apparently I have to name the stations myself. Sigh....

Yesterday I managed to get a piece posted on my Town Kid blog on the Leader website.
www.ptleader.com       "Christmas Means Remembering".  Thankfully, I had a few people contribute their stories.

Next Sunday I'm having my oldest daughter and her husband over for dinner, and then on Christmas morning, I'll drive back over to Mary and Andy's.  Jenni and the twins will come too.  We had Jake's 2nd birthday party on Dec. 12.  He got a bouncy house.  ha ha  Plus a ton of other stuff.














                                             his nanny gave him a purple dinosaur


 Ann Robson (high school friend from Issaquah) dropped in too
                                 Jenny and Candi played with Hungry hippo
                       Brandon & Catie imitated something Jake does all the time
                       the nanny and her mom  (Jake adores her and so do we!)



I stopped in Gig Harbor on the way home and gave cousin Cindy some of Jake's old clothes for her new twin grandbabies.  Driving all the way to Mary's and back was a huge step for me as I'm a real weenie about freeway traffic.  Unfortunately, the rain was coming down in buckets all the way there!

When I got back on the peninsula, I took a detour to see the old Chicken Coop Dance Hall.


A friend on facebook posted a 1937 Chimacum yearbook and I got to see a picture of my mother's older brother, Bob Nisbet.  He's third from the right in the front row.

And that's about it for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment