My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Monday, September 15, 2014

Ongoing project with a twist

As I've spent the last few weeks recuperating and found it difficult to do much of anything, I've  been
thinking on what I want to accomplish once I could get back online and start typing.  Genealogy data is the most fun for me and I've been working on various aspects of family history and how to preserve it.  I've got folders on my grandparents, aunts, uncles, and other family limbs but I wanted to get busy on filling in the gaps.

I pulled out my book "The Alphabet of My Life" that I wrote seven years ago.  Such an amateur attempt at an autobiography, but it was a start and you have to start somewhere. If nothing else, it's a reference for me to improve upon.  Another book I wrote in 2002 was called "Some of my family with some of their thoughts and memories."  This is a book I'm prouder of as it's very interesting with funny stories my cousins and siblings shared.  I only wished I had saved it on disk but I was just starting out using computers and learning as I went.  As I looked over some of the entries I knew I had to include many in the folders sharing family history.

To break it down, I'm starting with my dad's siblings.  Each aunt and uncle has their own folder that includes data on their life, obits, pictures, their kids and memories.  Using my 2002 memory book, I'm going to add little tidbits to each person's folder.  Will be a nice thing to have for great great grandchildren later on down the line.

For example:  one of the questions or statements I posed was: Tell me about your parents.  Some wrote long (really great stories) and some, like my dad who was a man of few words, wrote: Dad was easy going. Mother made us tow the line. She had a strap made out of an old horse rein and if we did something we weren't supposed to do,she's use that strap on our backside.

I remember dad ALWAYS kept a belt over the back of the fridge when I was growing up and he used it on us now and again.  Now I know where he got the idea.  ha ha

Well, that's my latest project in the works.  Makes me feel good to have a goal.

I haven't  felt good all day again today.  Have decided I'm going to put away the coffee pot altogether and see if things improve with my tummy and bowels.  Sooner or later I'm probably going to have to make an appt with some kind of doctor to check things out.  Going to try and fix myself first, though; I've had enough of doctors this year!

Finished watching a 6-episode movie series on Netflex last night.  It was on the BBC channel so sometimes it was hard to follow their English dialect.  Very good show,though. I recommend it if you can find it.  Called Happy Valley.  A female cop in England.  Another movie I watched was called: Mile..Mile and a half.  About hiking.  It was more of a documentary but well worth the time.

Don't have any pictures to share but here's one in my Uncle Jim's folder showing him and my dad getting water at the pump.

No comments:

Post a Comment