My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Monday, September 22, 2014

Still kicking after all these years

Well, I made it to my 71st birthday.  As my body continues to remind me of my advancing age and I am aware of more and more people that I know showing up in obits, I must say I don't take these final years of mine lightly.

Moved my laptop back into the office/sewing room as it was just too uncomfortable trying to type with the keyboard on a higher table.  Now I'm using the old keyboard and can keep my arms close to my body.  Have noticed an increase (I think) in shoulder pain and neck pain. Probably just as well that my physical therapy begins day after tomorrow.  I put my sling back on from time to time and have taken to using a hot pad on my shoulder when I go to bed.  Seems to help if I don't move around too much.  I keep telling myself "this too shall pass."  I'm hoping big time that when I am healed and have to look into getting the left shoulder looked at, that it will be minimal repair.  At least less than this right shoulder took.

I'm sitting here with the window open and the breeze feels pretty good. I continue to keep the hummingbird nectar fresh so at least I still have those birds coming around.

I'm thankful I can at least do a little driving now.  It's difficult hooking up the seat belt and opening the car door but I'll deal with it.  I don't go too far anyhow as I get tired.  Picked up some books at the library a few days ago on gluten and dairy free eating.  Stopped at Albertsons and bought a few items that were gluten free but it will take me a while to get "all the way there" in that category.  And I may never make it completely as everything seems to have gluten in it. Even tuna fish and tomato soup!

I did buy some almond milk and dairy free yogurt and margarine.  I want to get off sandwiches so I bought gluten free corn tortillas and hope to find some recipes I can use.  Going to look over Pinterest and the food website.  I think it will just be a matter of putting different toppings on and if I'm successful, I should be able to get off bread more easily.

I've quit coffee, chocolate, ice cream, and most sweets too.  It hasn't seemed to be a problem so far but it's early.  I'm suspecting I have IBS and that is contributing to my general fatigue and under the weather feeling that has been pulling me down.  If I have to change how I eat to be able to function in this world, then I'll do it!

Hunter is coming by after tennis practice today so I'm hoping he can fix up my VCRs so I can use them.  I've got three tvs so if we hook up the VCR to a tv it can communicate with, I should be good to go.  I also need him to fix my back seat car seats.  We put the seats down when I went to Renton and now I can't get them back up in the position they need to be.  I know he'll figure it out right away.

I've been occupying myself with several Netflix shows.  Found one old tv series called Dr. Pol and I'm especially enjoying it.  He's a vet in Michigan and you go on his rounds with him.  Some of it is totally gross but I'm taking it all in.  I've seen dead calves delivered, a cow's placenta pushed back inside her, porcupine twills removed from dogs, cows checked for how far along they are  pregnancy wise (the guys arm goes all the way up the butt).  Also watched a horse autopsy. He had fallen on concrete and split upon an artery inside and bled to death.  Lots of operations on animals with broken paws or eating disorders.  Interesting as hell! Especially the emotions of the owners.

I've also started watching Hack, an old series that was on tv for a while about this ex cop who is now a taxi driver.  David Morse stars with Andre Braugher. It's amazing how many shows you can find if you dig around.  I'm over the top happy, also, that I don't have to deal with commerical breaks.

I went to Joanne Fabrics yesterday as I got it in my head I might like to have an oilcloth tablecloth like we had when I was a kid.  Well, they don't sell oilcloth like that anymore but she showed me the large rolls with oilcloth like material with flannel on the back.  $20 a yard!  What?  No thanks.
Even their fat quarters had gone up in price.  I still bought four as I wanted some in the house for when I felt I was ready to get back into sewing.

A Leanin'Tree catalog arrived in the mail this morning.  I've probably received at least 3 or 4 of them in the past few months.  I'm often tempted to place an order as their cards are so nice but the cost of mailing them would put a crimp in my budget.  Even the oversize cards (which a lot of them are) require extra postage.  Used to be a time when I sent letters and cards all the time without a bat of the eye.

Mary just called and said her flight from Newark to Seattle was delayed three hours yesterday so they didn't get home until 1 a.m.  I hope I never have to fly again.  That whole business is not user friendly...including the narrow cramped seats.
Here's some pictures she posted on Facebook during the Manhattan visit.
                                                                 Going on the subway
                                                                      At Times Square
                                                           With New York's finest


Well, that's about it for today.  I've got a Statue of Liberty jigsaw puzzle set up in the kitchen so maybe I'll see about playing around with that for a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment