My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Monday, September 8, 2014

Taking another run at it

Every day I've been trying to do a little more. Today I decided to take a stab at blogging. Still uncomfortable to be online for any length of time but with iboprofen, an ice pack now and then, and rest, I've been able to increase my activities.  Haven't been brave enough to drive yet but I'm aiming for next week.  Need to get down to the beauty shop as my hair is in dire need of a trim.

I made an appt for physical therapy on Sept. 24, right after my 1 year appt with my knee doctor. I'm tempted to tell her that my complaining about my shoulder the whole time she was concentrating on my knee wasn't arthritis after all.  She did x-ray and decided it was arthritis.  I probably won't say anything, though. Wouldn't accomplish a thing. I do know I won't pursue her services again. Her bedside manner left a great deal to be improved upon

My shoulder surgeon didn't want me to start physical therapy until the 3rd or 4th week of this month. He did give me a few simple exercises to do at home until then. I'm very nervous about moving the shoulder too much as I don't quite understand the mechanics involved of the new hardware that's been put in place.  I did see the x-ray and it reminded me of how a robot might look inside.

All surgeries are hard on the body.  I was thankful I had my mobility to move unassisted this time.  That knee ordeal was something I want to never have done again.  Not thrilled about this shoulder situation either but if I have to have the left side done once I heal, I'll do it.  Just too difficult to get by without the use of your arms.

I was in the recovery room for several hours but I'm not exactly sure why.  I was told I'd be back in my room in an hour or two.  Not sure if it was my blood pressure readings or what.  Hope I can remember to ask the surgeon when I go for my six week follow-up exam on October 2.

One  of the hardest obstacles to get over after the surgery was the number the operation did on my bowels.  Maybe it was the anesthetic.  Was definitely a miserable period of time.  And then there were the nightmares.  Night terrors was more like it.  And I think everybody I ever knew who has died showed up at one time or another.  That's an unsettling remembrance when you wake up.  There were ghouls and monsters and the whole works finding their way into my dreamscape.  Woke up crying hard one time.

Yesterday I pulled out my counted cross stitch and crocheting.  Haven't made a lot of progress but some.  I also have a small puzzle set up on the kitchen table along with my laptop.  I thought I would get caught up on reading but alas, that seems to put me to sleep before I get too far along.  I'm working on Walter Cronkite's autobiography right now.

I can't get by without a nap every day but I was kind of walking down that road before surgery. I've moved into the computer room/sewing room for now on my single bed with a memory foam mattress. Seems to help me rest better.

My granddaughter, Catie, gave me this flatscreen tv someone had given to her so I have it set up in the living room and put my other large television in the bedroom.  Hunter programmed the new set for me and for some reason, I'm getting a few more channels than I was before.  I pay for the very basic basic of cable but because of decimal point channels I'm now picking up, I get a couple of cartoon channels, GETTV, THISTV, the animal planet, CNN, a couple Spanish stations, and couple of sports channels.  I've looked at my other universal remote controls and they don't have a decimal point on them so I probably won't try to switch the tv remote to a universal remote which might be easier to maneuver.  The remote I have now is tricky and you have to hold down certain buttons to make the tv turn off and on.  Keeps me busy but then I mostly watch Netflix and Amazon anyhow.

Here's the latest of Jake....he loved the swing at the park.

Mary was told by her daycare that she needed to pack more finger food for lunch instead of pureed baby food as he is in the "group with bigger kids now" and they sit in a circle at lunch to eat.  He'd watch them eating with their hands and wouldn't allow the daycare workers to feed him as he wanted big kids food too.  hee hee

She sent me a video she took of him discovering the toilet paper roll in the bathroom but I haven't figured out how to copy it so I can post. Have to play around with that.

The twins started high school last week.  Hunter signed up for tennis this year and wants to try golf in the spring. Maddie returned to cross country and was pleasantly surprised to make varsity. Pretty good for a freshman.
 Hunter on his tractor he entered in the county fair
Maddie (on right) for the first day of school

My class lost under member recently. That makes three this year...Joe Kenney, Linda Wilson Farina, and now Dave Brown.

Well, I'd best give this arm a rest and retire to the recliner. Sure wish they made recliners with left side arms to pull up the footrest. I'm having to use a hassock but it still feels good to be home in my own surroundings.

No comments:

Post a Comment