My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Sunday, November 10, 2013

And here I sit...

Yesterday I decided to take my dang blasted knee to the doctor again.  I'd been in to see my regular doc on the 1st and asked her to culture it.  I don't think she felt it was necessary but she did it.  Said she didn't think it was infected and to continue caring for it the way I was.  Sometimes you just know you have to decide for yourself when it comes to your health.

I saw a Physicians Asst. (had seen him before and really liked him) and he took one look at it and decided that it was indeed infected.  My one-inch wound had grown to about 2 inches, was looking deeper and the whole area was red and inflamed.  I think some of the problem was the tape I was using to keep the area covered. I've had problems with latex before and I should have known better.

He proceeded to give me new instructions.  Said to quit cleaning it with hydrogen peroxide, quit using the ointment I was putting on it, put a hot compress on it five times a day (not ice), and to get on an antibiotic three times a day.  I was also told to leave off covering it except when I went out or went to bed.  He also suggested I stop physical therapy until it heals.

 I went to Safeway to pick up the prescription and had to wait close to an hour.  I drove home telling myself...I will not cry.  I will not cry.  But I did.  At least I waited until I got home.  He drew a large purple circle around the area so he can check it again on Wed to see if it's improving. Worst case scenario would be having the knee replacement done over again.  That was alarming.  He told me not to lose any sleep over it. (I told him it was too late; the words were already out of his mouth) but he said the wound was superficial at this point and antibiotics should nip it in the bud.    I certainly hope so!

I'm wearing shorts around the house and I really have to work at not looking at my knee.  When I finish a round of applying heat, the wound bubbles up with what I guess is pus.  Apparently, the heat brings it to the surface.  I know.  Gross!  At least I know now how to bandage my knee with wrap-around gauze so the tape doesn't touch my skin.

He also said I could double-up on my Prozac as I didn't think it was working worth a darn.  Not that I don't have a right to be depressed but hell...that's what drugs are supposed to work on!  Ha!  I think I get most discouraged that this whole ordeal just continues on day after day.  My upper arms, shoulders, and neck are as painful as ever and I'm not sure exactly what can be done about it.  If I jarred my neck when I fell on my face (my theory) what is the process for healing?  I went to a chiropractor four times and each time I came home, I was so sore I could hardly stand it.

Physical therapy wanted me in three times a week so I quit the chiropractor for now.  And it looks like P/T is also being put on the shelf temporarily.  I've also wondered if the fact my front teeth on top (at least four of them) are all dead -- is that contributing to the neck/arms pain?  Or am I just grabbing at straws?  Hopefully, we'll get to the bottom of this one day.  I use my arms to push myself up from chairs so it could be something as simple as ME HURTING MYSELF!  Yet I don't feel confident and strong enough to boost myself up using my legs only. What a merry-go-round this has become.

I did take a picture of my knee this morning but it came out kind of grainy. I posted it and after seeing it in color on my laptop, I decided not to subject anyone to the view. And you know me...I'll post just about anything.  Ha!

I slept most of the night in my recliner.  Have found that laying in bed aggravates my neck and shoulders even more. I'll probably continue the chair sleep all week. If I was homeless, I'd probably be dead by now. Can you imagine sleeping out in the elements with a wounded body?  I am very thankful for the roof over my head and the heat I can turn on.

A few days ago I had the chills so bad (and severe body aches) that I thought I had contracted the flu.  It passed after a day and Jenni tells me it was probably my body fighting off the bad germs. She's so wise.

Today I plan to sit and knit and watch tv.  Maybe read.  I  also hope to start hemming some white drapes Mary gave me for the living room.  I've done one panel and have three to go.  Usually, my energy level will only let me do one a day. Another aggravation...I've got things to do and places to go and people to see....and here I am....nursing this stupid body.  Oh, and I missed hitting a dear by about 2 feet yesterday on the way to the doctor's office.  A block from the house -- he jumped out between two cars parked on the street.

It's looking wet and gray outside my window.  I think I'll head back to the living room and finish watching Kurt Douglas in Spartacus.  The guy who bought my trailer in Sequim paid me off yesterday so at least I'm out from under that obligation and won't have to worry about the trailer coming back to me forcing  me to pay lot rent.

I've mailed off about a dozen books this week so that's made me happy.  As you can tell from the mood of this post,  I haven't felt like blogging much because all I do is whine. Gonna have to work on that.


No comments:

Post a Comment