My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Saturday, November 30, 2013

49 years ago....

Here I am in 1964 at St. John's Hospital in Port Townsend.  I'm guessing it's Dec. 1 or 2 and I'm holding my first daughter who was born Nov. 30.  Second photo shows us in San Pablo, CA about a year later.  Happy Birthday Susan!

Oh, to be that thin again....sigh....

I got up at 6:30 a.m. this morning suffering with a terrible headache.  I knew it was the kind of headache that would go away as soon as I was up and about. And I was right.  I spent about ten minutes gagging and spitting in the sink -- I assume from post nasal drip.  Yeah, I know...I'm in fine form today starting out discussing my boring body functions.  Ha!  I'll get over myself sooner or later.

Actually, I'm feeling halfway decent right now -- and I don't take these periods for granted. Lately, they've been far and in-between.

The weather is looking wet and gloomy but I don't mind.  My schedule for today is going to be devoted to indoor activities like sewing, jigsaw puzzle, television, and oh yeah...exercises.  I think I'll get those over with right away so it's off my list.  I went to physical therapy yesterday afternoon.  I knew it wasn't going to be pleasant as I've had to put off going because of the recurring infection in my knee.

Anyhow, IT WAS NOT FUN!  The therapist wanted me to have a lot more bend in my knee so we worked on that.  Lordy, but it hurt!  She said I was at 93 degrees and she wanted me at 110.  I did okay with most of the exercises she put me through but one was especially painful. She tied a cord around my ankle and I had to pull my foot back and hold it for 10 seconds.  I was mighty glad when that particular exercises was over but I'll need to work on it at home.  Which I will after she told me a horror story.

Seems that if you don't get the bend needed in your knee, scar tissue can build up and there's a possibility of going back into the hospital (they put you under) and then the surgeon manipulates your knee while you're out.  Afterwards, of course, you're sore as hell and need to exercise even more.  That was enough to convince me to force a little pain on myself this week.  Sure am glad I have my exercise bike.  I'd prefer riding outside but I'm no where near being ready for that.

She must have manipulated me pretty good yesterday afternoon because I woke up several times last night moaning with pain in my knee.  Even got up to take two pain pills. No pain, no gain I guess.  Well, enough on that subject.  Here's some of the pictures I posted on facebook of our Thanksgiving at Jen's house plus some others I didn't post.


                                    me and Maddie bowling on their Wii game

                                       13-year-old Hunter patiently waiting for that turkey
                                                                         me and Sammy

After dinner, I decided to make a couple of quick runs to Big Lots and Walgreen's. Crowds were non-existent and I knew I didn't want to venture out on Black Friday.  Couldn't find anything I really wanted although I did buy a pillow at Walgreen's.  Took a couple pictures of First Avenue as I sat at a light. This was around 4 so I guess most folks were  still eating supper.

This was at the intersection of First & Race.  Photos below are some I clicked around Jenni's house.....

                                               Her collection of Monks...
 a picture my Aunt Velna painted. I gave Jenni one and I kept one.
                               Jenni's wall of clocks in the living room. She's going to hang more.
                                                         Sammy smells the turkey


I came across a supply of Christmas cards I had stored away so maybe I'll get busy and start addressing envelopes this week.  My gift-buying is going to be minimal this year as my budget reflects my fixed income status.  Just as well. Christmas was getting out of hand.  At least I'll never get to the point of those idiots showing up on tv fighting with each other at the malls.  Disgusting!

I did go online last night to look over Black Friday deals and found a couple of things to order.  Since my Visa card has a credit on it right now, I won't really have to put out any money for the two items.
I managed to finish reading a book last night. It's been so long since I sat in bed to read, I was really proud of myself.  This one was called Still Waters by Jennifer Lauck.  She wrote Blackbird too.

 Jenni and I are taking in a matinee today or tomorrow at the Lincoln Theater downtown.  Gonna' see Gravity.  Hope I can stand to walk afterwards.  Sitting in a movie house these days can be a challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment