My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Monday, November 18, 2013

Have we gone around the corner?

I woke up around 6 and dozed for an hour and a half more.  I was hesitant to get up because I can usually count on being nauseous as soon as my feet hit the floor. And if not then, definitely after I take an antibiotic.  Do I dare hope?  It's 8:45 and I've had breakfast and a pill and still feel okay.  I'm optimistic even though it's only been a few minutes since I got my nerve up to swallow the pill.  We'll see...

Yesterday morning I managed to throw up my breakfast as soon as I finished eating.  It was a gut-wrenching puke too!  Made me weak and filled me with despair as the general feeling of the blahs stayed with me the entire day.  My goals for today are minimal.  Intended to blog (it's been a struggle these past weeks) and I want to get the hall closet cleaned out. 'Course I have other things on my list too, but one thing at a time.

Hunter and Maddie (and Sammy) were here this weekend so I was able to get a few things off my list that I needed help with.  Was especially happy that I got to rearrange my office a bit by moving two bookcases to the front hallway.

I also got the two garbage bins set up off the back deck so I can toss stuff into them without having to navigate down the steps and around to the side of the house.  With my arms hurting as much as they have been, opening up the lid to toss in trash was becoming more difficult.  Problem solved.
A couple of days ago I got this email from my cousin in Gig Harbor:

Here is a story for you...Mirinda went to the SS office in town to change her name to Asplund.
She is standing in line, waiting forever, so talks to an older gentleman behind her.  He's from the harbor, she's from the harbor, they chat and find out that he is the owner of my childhood beach home on Pt. Richmond. (how weird is that???) He invited her to bring her mom and dad down for a visit.  He gave her his business card and it went from there.  I emailed him and set up a time for us to come.  It was just Mirinda and I. Tyler said he wanted to remember it the way it was, before the remodel, and Jeff understood it was "all about Cindy" time.   What a wonderful time we had! Jack and Susie Sutton are a class act.  They showed us all through the house and let me yak and talk and tell my child hood stories.  They were genuinely interested and intrigued.  We enjoyed their remodel stories.  The house looks nothing like it did.  My mom sold the beach house in 1995 for 275,000.  And the first people who bought it, gutted it and spent 460 grand to remodel.  Jack bought it in 2011  and remodeled it AGAIN.  Unbelievable that people have that kind of money.  They asked me if I knew who's hand prints were in the cement garage floor.  Well of course I knew.  It was a very good day. I wanted to take pictures but thought it would be rude so never did. They made copies of my pictures from the early 60's when it was just a beach cabin before my dad turned it into a 3000 sq. foot house.   What a blast from the past.  Loved every minute of it. 


I thought I used to have a picture of Cindy's house showing my Aunt Velna (her gramma) sitting on a log on the beach but I can't find it now.  That got me to thinking about all the houses that I remember from my childhood and how much they've changed.  How much each neighborhood has changed, as far as that goes.  I know most of you have already been subjected to my before and after pictures but I never tire of looking at them -- and it is my blog, after all.  (hee hee)

My childhood home when I lived there and years later when a large two-story home was built outside my bedroom window in grandpa's garden area.


Uncle Jim & Aunt Lillian's house next door when Jim was adding an addition, and years later...\



Uncle George & Aunt Lorraine's house (near the courthouse) when they first bought it and years later.
The house has changed yet again as their front yard was turned into a large apartment house.

Dad and Mar's house near the old boy scout cabin on Cosgrove and later when it was moved across town off Hastings Avenue.

My Aunt Velna's house on Clay Street in the 30's and today.... (the blue one hidden behind)

This shows my Uncle Lyall and Aunt Elva's house on the corner of Lawrence and Walker in the 1950's.
I can't find the photo I took of the house in recent days but I was able to tour the inside after the new owner renovated it. The upstairs was especially intriguing as it originally had 2 or 3? bedrooms and she made the whole floor into one large studio room with a bathroom.
When Jim and Lillian were first married, they had a rental home on Lawrence just up the street from Lyall and Elva.  They eventually moved down by Grandpa's house on 22nd & Haines but all my other aunts and uncles continued to live in and around the courthouse area uptown.

Well, I guess that's enough chatter for now. Time to tackle that closet.

No comments:

Post a Comment