My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Saturday, November 23, 2013

Saturday morning

I made an appointment to start physical therapy yesterday. Can't get in for a week so I intend to try and do some of my own exercises while I wait.  The doctor says my knee is healing well and I can exercise it on my inside bicycle as well as at physical therapy.  My first appointment, however, is going to be focused on my shoulders/arms/neck/back.  I'm not sure exactly what is going on but I figure they can figure it out.

The electric shock-like nerve feelings I feel up my spine are worsening.  Used to be I'd just get them every once in a while but now they come on as soon as I lay flat or sometimes sit in my recliner or car. I suspect my back is out since it's making almost all movement painful. I'm in a quandary trying to figure out who to see about fixing it.  Physical therapy seems the logical choice but I still wonder about the chiropractor.  I do have this neat book on exercises and I used to do those regularly when I was having problems.  Only difficulty now is that most of them require you to get on the floor and I'm not real keen on attempting that.  My mattress is pretty firm, though, and since it doesn't have a headboard, I think I can manage using the wall for the ones that want me to lay down.  Can't say that I'm looking forward to this but it has to be done because I'm becoming more and more disabled.

I forced myself to go to Walmart yesterday and pushed the cart around half the store picking up everything I needed as quickly as I could.  I finished up in under an hour but I literally moaned as I crawled back into my car for the drive home.  Putting on my seatbelt was especially delightful.  I was so desperate to get some relief that I stopped at Bargain Warehouse and bought a new recliner.
It doesn't rock like the recliner I have now but it is a heck of a lot more firmer and much easier to get out of.  I guess because it sits a little higher.  I have to check out chairs carefully these days before I opt to plop my butt down into one. More than once I've had to struggle to get to my feet. I've been using pillows to sit on in my old recliner as it was too hard to get out of the chair when I had to use my arms to push myself up.  This chair was only $299 and I really needed a chair anyhow.  I only have my old recliner and a short loveseat.  Hunter and Maddie were fighting for butt space the whole weekend they stayed over.  Ha!  Once the electric shocker whizzes were starting in when I sat in my old recliner, I knew I had to get something with better support.  I didn't like the smell of it last night so I pulled out the Febreeze.  When will I learn that I hate the smell of Febreeze even more?!  It's better now.  I guess my nose was just out of joint.

I made a quick Safeway run this morning to pick up what I couldn't find at Walmart. Figured I'd beat the crowd going at 9 a.m. but it still seemed a tad busy.  I cussed Safeway as I walked up one row after another trying to find where they've hidden things.  I hate it when you get a store memorized and they decide to change everything.  I filled up the car with gas and tootled on home to do a load of laundry.

I've got another jigsaw puzzle set up in the kitchen and a couple of quilt square projects to sew on.  Also have  a knitted afghan in the works and a counted cross stitch pattern.  Finished up watching Rich Man, Poor Man last night.  Boy, that was a good show.  I think I may read a couple of Irwin Shaw's books again.

I went to bed at 7:45 (exhausted) and then tossed and turned until after 1 a.m. because my back and arms hurt so much.  I couldn't go back to my recliner 'cause I'd sprayed it with Febreeze and I was actually too tired to sit up and read.  Whatever happened to those days when I could read for a few minutes and be out like a light?  I miss those days.  I must admit, though, that sometimes my dreams are so very interesting, I actually look forward to seeing where I go.

Last night I was in some trailer park.  Since I've lived in two parks during my life, I figure that was probably where my head was going.  Fascinating neighbors and activities too.  I think it was a combination of several places I've lived and people I've known.  There were lots of kids and a couple of dogs.

Yesterday I got a notice from AARP that my supplemental medical insurance is going up to $196 a month from $182.  Their stupid notice always starts saying:  "your premium is NOT going up.....until April."  Big Whoopie Doo!  I'm really going to have to look into seeing if I'm eligible for medicaid so I can get rid of AARP.  I'm fairly certain my income is low enough; just have to figure out if they consider my Edward Jones money an asset or my savings.  I draw from it monthly to get by and consider it my savings but they might see it otherwise.  I just hate having to deal with medical paperwork!

Well, the washer just finished its cycle so I guess I'll toss the clothes in the dryer and see about setting up my exercise area on the bed.  This ought to be fun.  Took a picture of my "healing knee" yesterday.  Only have one more antibiotic to take today and then I'll be done. (Unless it flares up again and I have to start over)  Looks like hell but at least the scabs are forming.



Once I get my back fixed, I'm taking the next step to see about getting my teeth repaired.  How I dread that!  Not the work as much as the cost.  I guess I should be thankful I have it in my Edward Jones account to draw from  when needed.  But still......I had other plans for that dough!


No comments:

Post a Comment