My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Friday, January 30, 2015

A little of this and that

As I recall, my very first LP album that I bought was in Portland, Oregon in 1962.  I had been buying 45's for several years but when I heard Peter Paul and Mary, I had to have that record.



I spent a few hours this morning organizing several of my genealogy notes on my g. grandmother Jane M. Downs.  I had so many pages on her father and her sister that I couldn't keep track of who belonged to who.  I may never get the mystery solved of who her mother was but I'm having a great time working on it.

One of the biggest obstacles with projects like this is that so many people had the same name. Often living in the same area.  And they weren't simple names like Smith or Jones either.

Once I got my notes organized and merged, I took a little nap.  Didn't sleep that well last night as I had a 7:30 a.m. doctor appt this morning.  My first line of attack on "getting well" is to spend the next three weeks eliminating all dairy products from my menus.  I took a bag of stuff over to Jenni's house and was amazed at how much dairy there was in my refrigerator.  I think I can manage okay although I'm going to miss cheese.  I did buy a half gallon of lactose-free milk so I can enjoy my dry cereals.  If this one step corrects the unhappy state of my body these past months then I'll make a point to continue the regime.   I'm going to be one happy camper if this solves the problem AND I manage to lose some weight at the same time.

I'm having carrot and celery sticks for my super bowl snack and maybe a tuna sandwich.  Not to worry, though; I'm also preparing a pan of brownies. ha ha

If you want to watch some interesting videos, search for 'Leave it to Beaver Introspective interviews'. Not sure how many there are. Maybe 5 or so?  Very fun.

Don't have any photos to share. Well, maybe a couple from the senior calendar..
                                                                          Titanic
                                                                 Breakfast at Tiffany's

Tips and stuff I've received in emails and kept ....

Put cooked egg yolks in a zip lock bag. Seal and Mash, then add the rest of your ingredients, mix thoroughly. Cut the corner of the bag, squeeze mixture into egg.

Add 1/2 tsp. baking soda to the water when boiling eggs and the shell will come right off

Arrange bacon slices on the foil and place the baking sheet on the center rack of a cold oven. Close oven door. Turn oven on to 400°F. Walk away. Come back 17 to 20 minutes later
Advantages: Avoid skin burning splatters, all bacon cooks at the same time, and easier clean up with the foil!


Tip for awesome oven fries! Pre-soak them in salted water, the potatoes release a bunch of their moisture before cooking. This ensures they will crisp up without having to risk burning them.

and four tidbits from Les Walden....


Map Quest or Google Maps really need to start their directions on # 5. I'm pretty sure I know how to get out of my neighborhood

Obituaries would be a lot more interesting if they told you how the person died.

I can't remember the last time I wasn't at least kind of tired. 


You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day. 

And that's about it for this week.  Just stuck a couple of ribs in the oven for supper and will have a nice healthy salad with it.  Intend to continue watching 'The Americans' on Amazon Prime tonight.  I quit watching once 'cause I got tired of the sex scenes.  (Sex is boring)  but I needed something to watch and I do like spy stories.  I'm into Season 2 but for some reason, I don't particularly like ANY of the characters.  They're all scum. Even the FBI.  Richard Thomas (John Boy Walton) is a FBI head and he just doesn't do it for me.

CAN I DRIVE?

No comments:

Post a Comment