My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Monday, January 12, 2015

The Golden Globes

Every year I look forward to the Golden Globes, The Emmy Awards, and the Oscars.  I've lost interest in most of the music award shows because they seem to have forgotten the older crowd who still know what good music is all about.  Yeah, that's me.

I wasn't as annoyed with all the lowcut dresses this year as I've been in the past.  There were a couple, of course, who needed to go home and put on more clothes. Like Jennifer Lopez.  My, but she is proud of her "girls".  I thought Meryl Streep looked elegant in her black and white dress.  Meryl is a real movie star.

I was surprised that Prince got an "almost like Bob Dylan" reception.  I've never been to one of his shows but I've been told he is quite the performer.  Obviously, he is.  And I'm happy for him.  All of the "to-dos" over Tina and Amy being the best emcees ever was a bunch of baloney.  They were okay but not as good as Billy Crystal was.  The North Korea skit was especially stupid. And their jokes....I don't believe I laughed once.  I did snicker a bit when they sniped at Bill Cosby but then I've never cared for Cosby anyhow and I'm not at all surprised he's on the hotseat.

One thing all the award shows never seem to get is that we're not interested in being entertained by stupid bantering when the presenters come out.  I'm embarrassed by their skits where they're trying to be funny and falling flat. Just get to the winners -- and the show wouldn't be running over if the winners didn't waste air time thanking everybody they've ever known.  We don't care that their agents did a good job. That's what they're hired for!

Incredible and Amazing were two  words overused for the entire show. Like football players who can't interview onfield without saying "you know", it drives me crazy!

I'm always disappointed that I can't afford the premium channels and have to wait for some of the shows to appear on Netflix or Amazon Prime.  I rented 'Boyhood' at Red Box last week so I was able to see at least one of the shows nominated.  I liked it a lot so I was glad it was awarded Golden Globes.  I've also watched House of Cards, Orange is the New Black, and Transparent.  I liked Orange at first but lost interest when the second season began.  House and Transparent, however, are a different story.  Love them both!

I'm also anxious to see Game of Thrones, Fargo, The Affair, Birdman, Still Alice, Veep, The Theory of Everything, and Homeland.  I saw  a list online a few days ago of the top 15 movies according to
critics?  I forget who it was according to but I did write them down because I'd never heard of even one of them!  Well, I'd heard of one...The Lego Movie.  I'm keeping the list handy in case they show up on Amazon Prime or Netflix.

Well, it looks like we're in for another rainy, gray day.  Or week, as the weatherman tells us. The rain is coming down pretty hard right now. I intend to play around on ancestry.com, work my jigsaw puzzle while listening to an audio book, read, and watch a couple shows I taped (like Downton Abbey).

I am truly thankful I'm not living in those parts of the U.S. that are dealing with snow and ice storms. I'll take the rain anytime, thank you very much.

My brother sent me this email showing a "senior" calendar that some group in Germany put together a while back to raise money.  I was  hoping to make a calendar of my own using the photos but I haven't quite figured out how to do it yet since my printer doesn't do that well in big projects. Anyhow, if I can remember, I'll post a picture now and again.  First up...James Bond.

And here's one I took outside of the house using the 'cartoon' setting on my new camera.




No comments:

Post a Comment