My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Monday, January 26, 2015

Last week of January

Life sometimes moves along pretty swiftly.   Other times it seems to crawl.  I think the older you get, the faster the speed.  Isn't that profound?  Ha!

I've been up for 3 hours and all the little chores I had listed are completed.  Gonna' run half a dozen errands this morning and I'm even thinking of driving out to the beach to get some walking in.  I may wait a while, though, as it's foggy and kind of nippy at the moment.  And I may or may not do the beach but opt instead for the road that runs alongside it.  It's a fairly nice walking area frequented by bicycle riders, runners, and walkers.  It's been a while since I got out there with my walking stick so it will be interesting to see how far I can go.

Since I've done nothing outside of the usual household chores and hobbies, I thought maybe I would write some tips on using your garbage disposal.  Boring?  Perhaps, but I needed to look stuff up on using mine and the easiest way for me to remember what I've read is to write it out.  So, here we go....

Every now and again (after washing dishes), squirt some liquid detergent into your disposal and run it for a minute with cold water running in.  Always use cold water in your disposal; never hot.

Don't cram your disposal with food but put in pieces a little at a time.  Put in egg shells, small chicken and fish bones and small fruit pits. Don't put in onion peels, celery, or corn husks. Probably not a good idea to dispose of potato peels either.

Run cold water for at least 15 seconds AFTER turning off the disposal.

Don't put bleach in your disposal.  No pasta, rice, or coffee grounds either

Once a month, put in a couple ice cubes and allow them to sharpen the blades. Keep water running, of course. An added note: freeze white vinegar in an ice cube tray and use a couple of those.

Every other month, throw in a small orange or lemon to help odors. You can also pour some baking soda into your disposal; let it sit for several hours before running the disposal with cold water.

And here's a couple pictures from a senior calendar depicting favorite movies. Can you guess what they are?


No comments:

Post a Comment