My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Saturday, August 29, 2015

Last Saturday of August

I kind of thought my day would be full of "not much" but sometimes it just doesn't work out that way. It was an early rising again (6:30ish) and I was glad to get up because my dreams were unsettling.  There's been a toddler in them lately and it's not hard to figure out who that is.  Last night I almost jumped out of a window with him in my arms and then caught myself -- chastising me for not being more careful.  I placed him on the floor and then I proceeded to jump out the window to the people below.  My jump was quite slow motion and I landed on the ground like a smooth plane setting down.  Seemed to be something I had done lots of times and it wasn't any big deal.

I don't know what else was going on in dreamland but it must have been something to do with my living arrangements because I no sooner got dressed and I was on a rearranging kick.  Switched the loveseat and recliner, put the memory foam back on my bed, moved the a/c unit to my closet, moved the table it had been on to the kitchen and put potted plants and knickknacks on it.  Then I shook out the bathroom rugs, swept the floor, vacuumed the house, and  sat down to surf the net and have breakfast.

Had the Sequim radio station on (91.5 fm KSQM) and am loving it more everyday.  I often have it on when I go to bed and even when I wake up to pee, it's still on and I keep it on.  I don't usually keep the radio on when I sleep but I've started to with this station.  I listen to it on my tv with my Roku device, and while  I can get it on my radio in my bedroom,  if I try to listen in a different part of the house, it won't come in.

I heard them mention the annual Clallam Co Historical Society's garage sale being held and I ran right down there.  I try to go every year.  Only runs on the weekend. Started last weekend but I didn't know about it.  Next weekend, everything is half off and the weekend after that, you can bag stuff for a dollar a sack.  It's one of the best organized sales ever.  They have guys directing parking outside and members sitting and working in every department inside.  (an old two story school)

I made a beeline for the sewing department where a lady supplied me with a plastic bag and when it was full, she took the bag to checkout to hold for me with my name on it so I could start a second bag and not have to hold everything.  I spent $9.50 on material as I was looking for stuff to back quilts and quilt wall hangings.  the prices everywhere were really good!
I also picked up a real nice journal with lined pages, and a neat stuffed bird that sings,


I think I'm going to rearrange my sewing room a little bit as I found a small ironing board I can put by my sewing machine and not have to keep getting up to the large board.
The mailman brought a free present from the electric company.  My second  present from them. The first was various yard hose nozzles, sprinkler timers, light bulbs, etc.  This time I got a really nice
electric strip.
It cost $5.95 to mail the thing and I'm puzzled where they came up with the money for this perk when they declined giving reduced electric rates to those with low income. (like me)  They said they were out of money and couldn't accommodate those hoping for the rate reduction.

The yard sale at the school house made me think I might want to join the historical society.  I overheard more interesting conversations as I browsed around.  They had everything arranged separately.  Tools, outdoor stuff, books, puzzles, movies, clothes, jewelry, sewing, dishes, cooking, Christmas, pictures, appliances...you name it...they had it.

I've been checking Jenni's mail the last few days to retrieve any ebay packages that Hunter had arriving. Today I asked the mailman if Owen Street was his delivery area too and he said: Oh, you mean your grandson, Hunter?   ha ha   He was nice enough to give me Hunter's latest box so I didn't have to drive over there today. They're coming home tomorrow.  I suppose the weather wasn't always the greatest but when you go to the ocean, the weather doesn't really matter.  I wouldn't mind taking a fall drive over there sometime this year before winter sets in.  Have to find someone to go with me...or better yet...drive me!

My Bellingham cousin posted some old family reunion pictures on facebook this week so I brightened that up a bit and decided to repost here. I think these were 1970.
                      Bill Forcier (hidden), Art Blankenship, Bob Walker, Lyall Arey
                                  Bill & Kathleen Blankenship w/baby Jennifer Lynn
                                        Lee & Elaine Arey with Michelle (I think)
 Bill Forcier (Janie's 1st husband), Bill & Art Blankenship,  (son and father)
                                    Bill Arey, Grant Walker, John Blankenship
 Dorothy Hollender Arey, Bill sitting on ground, Lyall with hands in pockets

                                       Janie & Bill with Edwina and Eddie
                         me & John with Sue and Mary.  Dorothy on the right

 George Blankenship (hidden), Lee Arey, Bonnie & Grant Walker
 Lorraine Blankenship, Elaine Arey, Bill, Janie, & George in back
                                   Marlyn Walker and Marlee (maybe Cindy?) not sure
                                             Sheldon Blankenship and other kids

Yesterday I spent a couple hours in the sewing room. Managed to finish a wall hanging with 4 quilt squares, and a couple of other squares, which I added to my stack. Haven't decided what I'm going to do with them yet but will probably make wall hangings or quilts.  Have a lot of cross stitch designs I've completed too and I think I'l work them into a wall hanging.

Weather can't seem to figure out what it wants to do today.  It's sunny and humid one minute, then the wind blows, the rain comes down sideways, and then it clears up again.  I don't care.  I'm all settled in for the day.  Have golf on in here and will turn it on in the sewing room when I transfer to that side of the house.

Two medical appointments this week. Monday to the dentist (which I know full well is going to cost me an arm and a leg) and then Thursday, it's off to the optometrist. I figure my glasses may need changing as I can see tv better without glasses.  

I wish I had a picture of our old brown house on 22nd Street in PT when we lived there in the 40's and early 50's. Here's one of a few years ago and how it looks today.


can't hardly even see it from the street. I do remember that shed in the backyard,though. It was a wood shed for us.

Here's a picture I found on Google maps of where my biological grandmother and her second husband may have lived in Aberdeen back in the 40's.
I know I'm repeating myself but this is my blog and I can repeat all I want. hee hee

Here's grandpa's house when I lived there and changes through the years....


By the way, if you ever want to look at PT houses, here's what you do:
go to www.co.jefferson.wa.us
Click on Departments at the top of the page
Click on Assessor on the left
Click on Parcel search
scroll down to street name
a long list of house numbers will appear. Look them over to find the one you want.
click on the red number and then scroll down to the blue box that says tax,a/v,sales, photos
Scroll to Property image

And here's a blast from the past for your listening entertainment

No comments:

Post a Comment