My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Monday, August 3, 2015

And now it's August

It's 9:30 a.m. and I've got several windows in the house open with air circulating.  Temperatures have dropped and a breeze flows through, almost a little chilly now and again. But I'm not complaining.  I slept till almost 8 and then proceeded with the usual walk-through of morning chores.  Started by watering in the front and back.  I had filled a couple of old dishpans with water during our hot spell (for the birds I guess?) but they weren't used as far as I can tell. I emptied both of them around a couple of my little trees.  I think I heard them saying ahhhhh...thank you.  Yeah, I'm being silly today.

As soon as I fill the dishwasher with the dishes I've let stack up on the counter, housework will be done. Well, I suppose I could wash a window or two and maybe run the vacuum. I'll think about it.
I've been trying to sew at least two quilt squares a day and I'm managed to complete a dozen so far.




I've got more to make but I haven't really decided what I'm going to do with them all.  I "might" put together a quilt or two or I might chose to make  4-square wall quilts.  Eventually, I want to practice on applique quilts --making wall hangings that tell a story.  I love quilts that show scenes.

I've been transcribing old letters I've received from my mother since the 60's.  I'm not sure why I'm even doing it. I guess because they're easier to save on a computer than storing several pages away in a box. It's interesting to me to reread these letters as I remember little of what was written all those years ago and it's like having new mail every day.  I don't get mail much these days. I don't think many people do.  A lost art -- letter writing.

My little green bean garden sure didn't flourish that well this year.  Maybe I didn't water it enough or maybe I needed to fertilize the soil.  I'm thinking I might just plant flowers in both the beds next year.  I had tulips growing once and they were really pretty.  I'll have to go see if I have a picture of them.
Yep!  Things were definitely looking better when I had tulips.  I need to get with it. Place looks really shabby now.




 Last night while surfing around on Netflix trying to find something I was in the mood for, I came across an offer from Showtime for a month free and then $11 a month.  Decided to give it a trial and I'm thinking I might just switch over for a while. Netflix can be hit and miss.  I found some movies I wanted to see and several series shows.  One being Nurse Jackie with Edie Falco. I saw a few episodes years ago and really liked it.

Not too much on my agenda this week. Do have a trip to Seattle on Wednesday where Jenni and I will walk on the ferry and be picked up on the other side so she can go to her doctor appt. At some point I want to drive into PT to work on a couple of gravesites at Laurel Grove Cemetery.  Think I'll see if Sue wants to tag along. She's really good at work like that.

Neighbors with the noisy dogs are moving so that aggravation took care of itself.  Now I'll have to wait and see who the new people end up being.  House is too big to expect an older couple to find it inviting and so far, it's been strictly young families with kids.

Perfect weather for bike riding today but since I have to be careful even walking down my back steps off the porch and across the uneven lawn, I know taking a chance on bike riding isn't in the cards. At least not yet.  If I really want it, I'm going to have to work for it.  And with that....I'm off to my sewing room.


No comments:

Post a Comment