My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Monday, August 31, 2015

Slow Start this A.M.

I have a dentist appointment at noon today.  Been a couple years since I sat in that dreaded chair so I'm prepared to accept the fact money is going to be leaving my savings account.  The library is a block away so I plan on going there first.  I have this three-page, single spaced list of "books I want to read" and every now and again, I pull it out to look it over.  Today I read the reviews of some of them on Amazon and then checked the library website to see if they're available.  Most were although a couple of them are in Sequim so I'll have to request a transfer.  I'll do that another time.

Those I may check out this morning include: Let Me Finish, American Prince:Tony Curtis, North Toward Home, A Good House, Gifts of the Crow, and A Prayer for Owen Meany.  I seem to go through phases where I want stacks of books surrounding me.  Even if I don't read them (and I often don't) I still like the comfort of having them around.  Last night I went to my book shelves and pulled out half a dozen to sit by my recliner.  Started reading a paperback 'cause TV was rotten but it put me to sleep before I got too far along.

I watched a few Showtime movies over the weekend.  Roadie about a guy who travels with a rock band for several years, gets fired, and how he goes back home to live with his mother.  It was pretty good.  Another was Saved about a teenage girl who goes to a Christian School, gets pregnant, and ends up getting everyone to be kinder to gays.  It was a typical teenage movie but I sat there doing crossstitch and watched it through.  Several of the actors were in other shows I've watched on Netflix and Showtime.

Yesterday morning I spent a couple hours in the sewing room.  Didn't get any sewing done but I did manage to clean out one large plastic bin of material scraps.  Several I tossed out but I took my time and pressed and cut a few stacks of various sized squares to use in quilts.
Jenni, Wayne, and the twins got back from the ocean yesterday.  Had a pretty good vacation despite the stormy weather they had part of the time.
This morning I was outside taking pictures of various subjects  viewed from my porch.  A homeless guy strolled down the street slowly so I took a couple of him as he stopped to pick blackberries on the vacant lot across the street.

I can't say for sure that he was homeless but he did kind of have "that look."  He also was walking slow like he'd just got up, and the fact it was as early as it was and he was coming from the direction of a wooded area, I figured he was probably homeless.  Made me kind of sad, in a way, and I was tempted to offer him some food.  But then....if he wasn't homeless, he'd probably be offended.

The construction area up the street a few feet hasn't been worked on yet although the city trucks have stopped and some kind of meter has been installed. Also see a stack of lumber along with the sani-can.
The rest of these photos were just observations from my front steps.
My painted rocks got a nice cleaning with the rain we had this weekend.  And of course, I always like to take a few pictures of the hummingbirds. I had about four of them whipping around but I wasn't able to get them in flight.




 One lone bee actually took one of the birds on and the bird flew off.
                                                  This ole slug was on my ramp.  Ugh!
 I threw my leftover popcorn in the backyard this morning and the crows ate it immediately.
I don't understand why the deer think they need to come into my yard and nibble on what tiny bit of green I have growing. Especially when the lot across the street is full of stuff they could be pigging out on!

And Happy 67th birthday to my step-sister, Shannon Timbers over in Sumner.  Shown here with her son, Seth, grandson, and husband, Ed.


No comments:

Post a Comment