My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Saturday, February 28, 2015

Flowers in February

As I was pulling into Safeway parking lot this morning, I noticed this "homeless guy I think?" who had a light shirt on and was holding his arms like he was cold.  I wish I had had a jacket in the car as I would have given it to him.  Walked through produce first and just shook my head when I saw green onions were $1 a bunch.  Used to be 39 cents, I'm sure.  Sigh....  I bypassed ice cream and it's getting easier all the time as I think my "problem" has improved and I'm contributing that to dairy products.  Cheese has been the hardest thing to avoid although I did buy some yesterday as I have some dishes I want to make for dinner and they all require cheese.  I figure moderation is the name of the game but I'll still avoid ice cream, puddings, milk, yogurt, and cream cheese.  I fixed a grilled cheese sandwich with tomato soup for dinner last night 'cause I wanted something hot and easy.  I'm still standing.

Got a nice surprise as I stood in line behind this woman (about my age) who had over $200 worth of groceries.  As she was leaving, she handed me a bouquet of red tulips.  Not often standing in line is remembered as a nice time.  Made me decide that I'm going to pay it forward on a regular basis from now on.  The clerks were amazed too. Tulips have always been my favorite flower.

When I got home, I found this cute little pink bathtub and bear on my porch that Joy Bland had dropped off. I knew she was coming but I didn't think she would be there that early.  Such a cute addition for my collection. Thank you Joy!
Watched two movies from Red Box last night. 'Gone Girl' had me on the edge of my seat but I sure didn't care for the ending.  The story was full of twists and turns.  Excellent plot.  The second movie was a waste of my time.  I always check the story outline and reviews on IMDB before watching and "John Wick" had a fairly high rating.  Wasn't deserved in my opinion.  Nothing but killing one guy after another. Most shot in the face. Boring.  Starred Keanu Reeves and he really needs to do something with his hair!  Looked like hell!  He's aged a whole lot in the twenty years since Speed came out.

Sure is looking nice out there today. Especially compared to the rainfall yesterday. I plan on getting a walk in.  Maybe I'll see if Maddie will go with me.

Last night as I sat in my recliner, I kept hearing this buzz.  I'd pick up my phone thinking the settings had gone screwy again (it does that) but nothing was there and everything was as it should be.  On the third buzz I investigated more and discovered this big ole bee on the floor.  Wondered if he came in through the heat vent.  How could that be?  Must have come in when I went out to retrieve the trash cans from the alley as I left the door open.  I have noticed a bees nest under the top deck step that I'm hoping Hunter will help me get rid of. 

Anyhow, back to this bee...  I threw a heavy book on him and when I picked it up, he was still moving. I put the book back on him and stood on the book!  Picked up the book and he was still moving.  Went to find a shoe and put that on him and pressed with my hand.  He was still moving.  I finally grabbed two tissues, picked him up and threw him outside on the porch --where he was still moving.  I hope this isn't an indication of what I can expect with bees this summer.  Some years they're a real nuisance on my deck and I can't even sit out there.

I made a decision today and am hoping I can stick to it.  One of my morning routines is to turn on the morning news shows to see if anything interesting has occurred overnight.  It doesn't take any time at all for my irritation to be sparked by all the blah blah  offered on ALL the channels.  Local news is especially annoying. Especially the commentators. They're getting worse all the time.  I always end up turning on my Pandora Music channel or KIXI 88 AM radio via my Roku device through the TV. (can't pick it up otherwise as Port Angeles is too remote)

A lot of the time I can stomach the Fox channel longer than the others but they're gaining in my disfavor, as well.  None of my daughters watch the news and I think they've got the right idea.  I'm only letting myself get worked up and it's time to make a change.  The ads for the drug companies are clogging all the airways and when I have to hear all the networks making a huge story out of whether a dress is a certain color....well, enough is enough.  They're not going to be allowed on in my house anymore!  

Through the years, I've banished several folks.  If I hear their voice or a story about them, the mute button is pushed or the TV is turned off.  This list includes Obama, Donald Trump, the Kardashians, Justin Beiber, all the women of The View and the Talk, Miley Cyrus, Jerry Springer, Judge Judy, most of the Seattle news teams (the women more than the men drive me nuts!), Kanye West, Dr. Phil, and all audiences of Ellen DeGeneres, who go way overboard in their screaming.  We all know why--they're gonna' get free stuff, for crying out loud!

I need to eliminate sources of stress and I'm starting with my remote control.  I feel a whole new world opening up for me.  I just went outside to clean up some pots on the porch a little bit and took this shot of my little friends living under the steps.  Ick!

No comments:

Post a Comment