My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Thursday, February 12, 2015

My Thursday

I always seem to forget that my computer likes to "update itself" on Thursday mornings -- which means I can't log on and check email.  Not that there's ever much email these days.  I should probably try to write more emails myself. I used the time to get chores done.  Decided I needed to wipe down my car 'cause it turns muddy fast with every rainfall.  That's one thing I don't like about the shape of my car-- the back gets dirty much faster than a sedan shape.  Having a white car doesn't help either, but too late now.  It gets so filthy that you have to open the door and climb in carefully or you'll get your clothes dirty.  I can't afford $10 a week for a car wash so I'm forced to wipe it down with a damp cloth instead.  Which isn't that easy as my low back objects within minutes!  But then again, my back objects to just about everything I get it in my head to do these days.

I washed a load of laundry, unloaded the dishwasher,  and vacuumed the house.  I guess I'm done. One of the advantages of living alone is that housecleaning is a minor inconvenience.  I need to wash the windows but I'll wait until spring.  Also need to clean the kitchen cabinets inside and out but I may have to hire Hunter or Maddie to help as that project would do me under with all the climbing up and down I'd have to endure.  My, this has turned into quite the boring blog post today, hasn't it? Ha!

I'm heading into Port Townsend tomorrow morning. Joyce Lee Adams is going with me so we'll probably stop for lunch somewhere after I finish my errands.  I need to go by my sister's apartment to drop off a small bag of beach glass I promised a friend as she makes jewelry and stuff out of it.  Well, she's my FB friend anyhow. I haven't actually met her yet but maybe I will tomorrow.

Also stopping by Ruth's to give her this Scrabble game (for the computer) that I bought on Amazon. I think she'll enjoy playing it 'cause I know I love mine.  Then it's off to downtown to hit a couple or three places to see if they'll display my Town Kid book.  I've been putting it off too long and they're not going to sell themselves just sitting in my closet. When I get home,  I'll go through the house again to see what I might need to put up and away from tiny fingers.  Sure am looking forward to Jake coming on Saturday.

Ancestry.com continues to occupy a lot of my daytime hours. Yesterday I came across this family tree that showed a tombstone for a woman I've been looking for --Elizabeth Dorman.  This tree listed her as Elizabeth Wolcott and it's on the same census page in DE (for 1850) that I've gone to over and over again.  I kept skipping over Eliz Wolcott so now I have to rethink my lineup. I get so many names and dates listed on so many pages of notes that it doesn't take any time at all for me to lose who belongs to who.  I need to rethink how I record my data.

I finished the second season of 'The Killing' on Amazon Prime last night.  Thank God they told us who did it before starting season 3 because you have to pay to get into season 3 and I didn't want to do that.  This was one REALLY GOOD SHOW!  Twists and turns all the way through.  Early on I "sort of" thought I knew who the killer was but it wasn't until the very final scene that I discovered I was wrong.  He definitely had a hand in it, however, so I was on the right track.  It took place in and around Seattle and Bainbridge Island so that was fun to watch, as well.

Going to have to explore Netflix and Amazon now to find something else to watch. Am leaning towards Six Feet Under although I may have seen all the episodes already. Maybe not but either way, what I did watch was pretty good. I also might try again to get into Parenthood. My daughter loves the show and can't understand why I don't.  I may start up on 24 too and House of Cards is due at the end of the month.

'Course everything stops at 7 pm so I can watch Wheel of Fortune --mainly because I have to make sure I don't miss my number being called at the end of the show and losing out on $5000. They have a second contest running now where you have to go online and type in the "secret phrase" so you have a chance of winning a trip to Hawaii.  I've always wanted to go to Hawaii. Well, not always but lately I've thought going there might be a good thing. Wonder who I could take.

I bought a Power Ball ticket for the huge drawing last night.  I got one number which means ZERO as far as money in my pocket.  My Hit 5 ticket, however, gave me $10.  I guess that's something.

A note about potatoes:

To keep potatoes from budding, place an apple in the bag with the potatoes.

You can cook baked potatoes in the Crock Pot! Low for about 8 hours You don't even have to wrap em'** Just scrub, spray the crock-pot and potatoes lightly with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt. The skins get yummy and delicious just like at a restaurant


To make lighter and fluffier mashed potatoes - add a pinch, or two, of baking powder to the potatoes before whipping

Well, the mailman just arrived so guess I'll go see if he's made it three days in a row giving me nothing but junk mail.

A note to ponder: 

Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day. Teach a person to use the internet and they won't bother you for weeks, months, maybe years.


No comments:

Post a Comment