My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Sunday, February 22, 2015

Oscar Night

Watched a terrific documentary on Netflix last night called 'And the Oscar Goes To'.  It was an hour and a half of clips and interviews from dozens of past and present stars.  I didn't get any knitting done as I couldn't take my eyes off the screen.  They featured everybody from Groucho Marx to Bradley Cooper. Was especially interesting to hear the feelings of  people who had lost.

This morning I saw a 'Short' that is nominated for an award tonight.  It made me laugh out loud and I hope it wins. Called 'A Single Life.'  Animated and very funny.  About this young girl who discovers she can FF or back up her life by taking a needle off the record she's playing on her phonograph. She uses it to envision meeting Mr. Right, getting pregnant, having a baby and then she accidentally hits the needle and it shows her in a wheel chair as an old woman. As she struggles to get back to the needle on the record player, it skips and she is walking with a walker (hasn't hit wheelchair status yet) and then she hits it again and an urn plops onto the floor with the lid jiggling.  You had to see it to appreciate it.

I was very aware yesterday that my stability working around outside was not all that stable.  I have to go down steps one at a time and I have to have something to hang on to.  When walking around the uneven lawn and over hoses, etc. I realized I wasn't stepping gracefully.  I think I've always known things have changed but I was especially aware of it yesterday as I watched Hunter go up and down the ladder and carry the bucket of water like it was empty.  'Course I realize he's a teenager and I'm an old lady but still.... it was unsettling to remember that I'm not steady on my feet these days.  Just another reminder that I'd best get off my butt and get out their for some daily walks.  Talk is cheap so now I have to see if I can put my money where my mouth is.  Or something like that.

I was kind of surprised to see the neighborhood roofs all covered with white frost this morning. Then again, it is February, after all. Sun is shining brightly now at 9:30 a.m. so looks like it's going to be nice.

Have been organizing my Blankenship notes to proceed with the switch to a family name I hope I'll have more success with than the Downs search was.

 My mother is 89 years old today.  Always makes you wonder a bit if you'll live as long as your parents did.  Can't predict a thing in that area, though.  My dad lived to be 86.  His dad was 82 but his mom died at 55 (Pneumonia). On my mother's side, her dad (biological) lived to be 95 but her mom died at 35 (TB).

Her adoptive parents both died in their 60's, and I've always thought it interesting that her adoptive mom and her biological mom died within 4 months of each other in 1942.

Well, time to get busy.  My social calendar looks pretty empty for the next couple of weeks.  I guess it's a good thing I'm contented with my own company most of the time. And here's a picture of my favorite town.




No comments:

Post a Comment