My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Sunday, April 5, 2015

Easter Sunday

Yesterday, the mail lady brought me that old family album I've been dying to get my hands on.  Oh man, was it ever fun!
                        This belonged to Henrietta Patton, sister of my grandpa.

I spent the  day and half the night carefully removing each photo and scanning them on my old scanner which takes better pics.  There were about 70 or so.  Now I have to try and figure out the "unknowns" and piece together all the clues.  I posted several on my family tree on ancestry.com so others could use them too.

One picture that really jumped out of me was IDd as "Perry Banks", half-brother of dad.  Dad, in this case I guess would be Henrietta's dad - Lewis Marion.  I am definitely going to have to look into this as I, at first, thought it was "Charlie" in the family portrait I've been trying to ID. I thought they looked alike but then I was really wanting them to look alike. Their hair is kind of parted the same way.


This is Perry Banks and the back of the photo says it was taken in San Francisco.  The Perry Banks I researched online was born in 1878 around the same time as my grandfather, Lew Gene. He was born in Canada and worked for a time (along with his wife) as an actor in Hollywood. My cousin in Oregon thinks that Henrietta's grandmother, Elizabeth Bolt, may have been married more than once and that would account for a half brother for her father, Lewis Marion.

I do know she brought a son to the marriage but his name was not Perry Banks. It was George Bolt. At any rate, I've got a mystery on my hands and am anxious to play around with this. I keep hoping I can find another relative with pictures.  I do so want to know more about my grandpa's siblings and how they all looked in their younger days.

Lily Blankenship has always been especially interesting to me as I have a few pictures of her and her will and obit.  I knew she'd been to the Kuhn Street house more than once as her husband and my grandpa were brothers.  Here's some pictures I had of her and the last one shows how she looked in her younger days.




Another photo I loved seeing was my Grandpa's brother, James.  I've had so few clues about Jim except I knew he was a logger and a gold miner.  The picture in the album is not that great but it's better than nothing. Jim is on left and John on the right.  My dad and uncle Jim were named after these two guys, and I think John (in this picture) looks a lot like my nephew, John, son of Les.

Another thing in the album was the funeral booklet on this Uncle John.  I scanned in the pages of who brought flowers so I can hunt for clues there, as well.  There were 100 listings.  Must have been a very aromatic service if that was really a list of bouquets like it said.  Had to chuckle at the name of the funeral home --Fisher Funeral Home (same as 'Six Feet Under', one of my favorite shows).

I went over to my son-in-law's dad's place this afternoon as they were having an easter egg hunt for the grandkids and wanted to get some group pictures.

                                               Wayne and his dad, Ed
                                                                        Ed & Kathy
                                                                         Hunter
                                                                           Maddie
                                                                      Lisa & Denzil
                                                         me, Wayne, and Jenni

I sent an order for reprints over to Walgreens already so tomorrow when I go pick them up, I think I'll pick up a couple of movies in the Red Box outside their door.  I see Interstellar and The Theory of Everything are both there and watching for $1.50 each fits my budget.

Well, I think I'm going to have to turn the heat back on.  I just haven't been able to stay warm this week.  Am heading over to Jenni's at 5 for supper so I'm excited about that.

Hope your Easter was a happy one.

No comments:

Post a Comment