My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Monday, April 20, 2015

I do enjoy Spring time

Yesterday (like several folks I'm sure) I spent some time outside playing in the dirt.  It isn't easy for me to play in the dirt these days.  My back often has plans of her own.  I put in two hours and that's kinda pushing it even though I have my handy dandy shower stool to sit on for the "get down-get those weeds pulled" chapter of the chores.

Maddie came over and did the area under the front window for me and helped me move some pots in the back, and dump some weeds in the lot across the street.  I planted a few flowers in planter boxes on the back deck and today I put some green bean seeds in the raised beds at the end of the yard. Also a package of blue morning glorys.  My "already blooming" flowers included my ole standby - pansies, some marigolds, and two others that I can't think of their name so who cares.

                                                                   before and after

Since the backyard is full of moss and dandelions and generally looks dreadful except right after Hunter has mowed, I've decided that the one area that is especially ugly and doesn't grow that well will be my "solar light area."  I had quite a few to stake out and now I'm eagerly awaiting to see if they're still good. I may even invest in a couple more.  I won't bother with mowing that area either.
My body sure did let me know she wasn't happy with the tiny bit of exercise I made her participate in. I went to bed tired to the bone and achy all over. But.....happy at the same time.  Planting and weeding can be such a mood elevator.

I've been in a cross stitch mood (when I'm not crocheting my latest afghan) and here are the patterns I recently finished.  I may use them in the middle of a quilt piece or maybe make a book mark.



I started a new book last night and thankfully, was hooked from page 1.  Looking forward to picking it up later today.  (Foxcatcher)

I made the yummiest dinner last night. Veggie pizza. I bought two ready made pizza crusts and topped one of them with chicken, broccoli, carrots, onions, green pepper, zucchini, tomatoes, and cheese.  I'll have the other half tonight although I'm hungry now and might just have it for lunch.

Household chores were light this morning so I finished everything up quickly. Now I can PLAY!
Going to find another jigsaw to set up and will probably work on genealogy.  I got my obit on Zadock Blankenship, my grandpa's older brother that I had so little data on.  According to the obit, (which aren't always accurate) his name was Zedic.

From Capital Journal, Dec. 2, 1932
Obituary: Zedic C. Blankenship
Independence, OR

Funeral services for Zedic Clarke Blankenship were held from the Keeney Funeral Home, Independence, Dec. 1 at 10:30 o’clock with Rev. Geo Cromley of Salem officiating. Funeral hymns were sung by Mrs. Walter Keer and Mrs. E. Gobat of Suver. Pall bearers were Walter J. Kerr, Martin Conger, Henry Lamb, Ora Allen, Willis Allen and Egr Harris. Interment was in the IOOF Cemetery. Mr. Blankenship passed away at the home of his sister, Mrs. Steele of Suver November 29. He is survived by the following brothers and sisters: John A. Blankenship, Creswell, J.S. Blankenship, Klamath Falls, L.G. Blankenship of Port Townsend, Wash., sisters Mrs. Patton, Pendleton, Mrs. G.A. Stark, Eugene and Mrs. A. T. Steele of Suver.

Interesting to me that no brother named "Charlie" is listed.  The mystery continues.  Chas. was listed as a son in the obit for Zedic's dad, Lewis M. Blankenship.  It was curious to me how he came to have such an old fashioned name like Zedic or Zadock or Zed and a more modern middle name like Clarke.  His grandfather was Zadock, however, so I figure that's how that came to be.  Clarke I'm not so sure of although I've thought that Zedic's mom (Jane Downs) came to Illinois with the Clark family after her dad died.  All speculation so far.

I've had a hard time finding out what the middle names were of grandpa's siblings.  His name was Lew Gene and he's listed all kinds of different ways in the census records -- L.G., Lewgene, Eugene, Louis, Lew.  His brother John's middle name was Allan and his brother, James' middle name was Summer. Also a name I thought was odd because he wasn't even born in the summer.

The oldest sister, Georgie Stark, was actually Georgia Anna. Another sister, Henrietta Patton, I can't find even an initial for so maybe she didn't get a middle name.  Another sister, Mattie Steele, has her death certificate  listed as Mattie and she's listed that way in most census records.  One place, however, she's listed as Martha M.

His sister, Elizabeth Thomason, is listed as E.C., or Lizzie but no where can I find what C stands for.
I'd really like to find out what my g. grandmother's middle name was.  Jane M. Downs.  I half suspect it might be Martha is that is the name of Mattie Steele.  But it could be Mary, as well.  One guy has her listed as Mary Jane Downs on his family tree but I don't know how he came up with that idea. Since I don't know who her mom was, it could be Mary.

Well, I guess I'll go fix lunch and watch the Country Music Awards that I taped last night. They're 3-1/2 hours long so that tells me there's plenty of commercials to FF through.  Mary flew to Austin this morning for a business conference. She was really bumming about having to leave Jake. Here he is at a recent Saturday outing they took him to.

No comments:

Post a Comment