My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Friday, April 24, 2015

Friday - time to unwind

I've been a busy little bee this morning. Washed a load of laundry, vacuumed, mopped the kitchen, went to Walmart, and even managed to make myself presentable.  I did invest in some hair gel and spray since I've  decided (until I change my mind again) that I'm going to let my hair grow and see if I can't work a little harder at keeping it curled.

Yesterday I scrolled through my blogs of the past few years and was reminded of how thinner I was, how my yard and bushes and flowers looked better, how much I rearranged rooms and added "things", and how often I posted pictures of plants and birds and bugs and dirt.  Ha!  I did find a few pictures I wanted to keep (maybe for reprints... or not) and I noticed quite a few posts where the pictures had been deleted.  I suspect I did that because Google said I was running out of space and wanted to charge me.  I just can't see paying for pictures I've posted of my yard.

I did notice that the block long lot across the street from me used to be free of scotch broom and bushes.  I also remembered how the lot at the end of the street looked before it was logged.  I was happy to see those trees disappear because it was kind of scary to walk along the secluded path in there.  You never knew what riff raff you were going to encounter.  There was a lean-to "camp" in the middle of it until somebody burned it down.  And the whole area over there and the road leading to it has become a dumping ground for people's trash and old furniture and carpets.

I'm fairly certain druggies meet up there, as well.  Anyhow, while I was happy to see the area opened up, I am not happy that the logger hasn't returned to clean up the area like the construction guys informed me.  They left large ugly tree stumps and it's only a matter of time before the whole area is full of scotch broom and bushes again.  I decided I'd look into whether or not anybody is responsible for coming in to rape the land for profit and leave it ugly.

A friend on FB suggested I write my representative so I did. Ha!  Like he's going to lose any sleep over that one!  It was my first letter (that I recall anyway) that I've ever written a politician. This morning I called city hall and left a message. Waiting to hear back.   I may write a letter to the editor next.  And perhaps a rant in their rave and rant column.  It just doesn't seem right  that people can come in and leave an eyesore like that. Somebody needs to say something.

I made a pot of clam chowder for supper yesterday so that will be the menu again today.  Don't know why it is, but it just doesn't taste as good as clam chowder in a restaurant. I probably should have seasoned it more but I'm trying to cut down on salt.

I bought a piece of foam board this morning to mount my jungle puzzle on.  I glued it yesterday after watching a video on YouTube of how to do it. So easy.  I may do more.  I've been a little bummed that I don't have the energy or strength to do a lot of chores that I used to find kind of fun.  Even pulling the large trash bins to the alley is a chore anymore.  I'd like to get a ton of flowers planted but it's just not going to happen. I'll be content with the few I have on the deck. I did invest in one hanging basket for the front porch. I think it's high enough that the deer can't eat it.

We had some high winds the other day. I do enjoy a good wind storm (as long as it doesn't interfere with my electricity). As I sat in my recliner, I watched my little pinwheel spin faster and faster. And then I noticed it was not looking right.  I went out to inspect it and discovered some of the ribbons have ripped away.  Darn it anyhow!  I paid about $15 for that yard decoration and I expected it to last for several years. Jenni says I expect too much and it's already had a good run.  I don't agree. Things should last longer.
Nothing much on my agenda this week. Mary and Jake (maybe Andy) are coming next Saturday to stay the night. Can't make it on Mothers Day as they were given Mariners tickets. She just returned from Austin last night and in May, they'll travel to NY to see his family.  They're going to fall in love with Jake all over again!

He's grown so much...




Well, let's see...what else...?    Maddie is busy with track and working at getting the pole higher and higher on pole vaulting.  Hunter continues to work on his truck in the garage and helps out a lot at his grandpa Ed's since his Alzheimer's takes a toll.  Catie is busy working on making jewelry and hunting for a new job.

I'm plowing along the best I can with two body replacement parts.  I was ready to go home by the time I finished walking Walmart's aisles from one end to the other. I can see the day coming when I'll opt for a riding cart.  Not there yet and I'm hoping it won't come to that but if it does, it does.

Here's that video on how to glue a jigsaw puzzle....

No comments:

Post a Comment