My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Wednesday, April 1, 2015

April Fools Day

I've totally lost interest in April Fools Day.  Haven't been all that interested in it since I was a kid really.  I'm not sure what my favorite holiday is.  Probably Christmas--although it can be terribly stressful too.  Which is sad but that's what family gatherings can do to you if you're even a little bit dysfunctional.  I wouldn't say my family is dysfunctional but we do have our problem areas that we are reminded of at the end of each year when we think we need to touch base with family members.  I don't think the Christmas stress we have these days was around when I was a kid.  Then the only stress was the parents trying to figure out how to afford gifts.  Nothing's changed much there.

I made a quick Walmart run early this morning after dropping the kids off at the high school.  Needed to pick up my prescription and wanted to buy some printer ink just so I had a spare to fall back on. As I browsed through the computer department, a young (and very fat) clerk was bending over to stock shelves.  Man!  I saw more than I wanted to.  I felt kind of sorry for the guy but somebody needed to tell him to wear longer shirts.  Maybe it was the store dress code. At any rate, I "almost" said something but decided to avert my eyes and continue on my way.  Sigh....

I babysat Maggie for Ed and Kathy yesterday as they had a doctor appt. out of town.  I didn't realize until later that night when they were running late picking her up that she had never been left before. Poor thing. She sat by the one window I have that looks out on the street and kept watching for them.
I'll have her again (this time overnight) as they go to the tulip festival.  I thought having Sammy here would help but I think it hindered. Neither one seemed all that impressed with the other - although Sammy kept sticking his butt her face hoping to make friends.  Ha Ha


Spring break is on next week and Maddie asked if I'd be willing to take her and pick her up at track practice.  It's a nuisance but she's agreed to help me around the house in exchange.  I don't actually have any house chores that need doing right now but I am anxious to have help cleaning the pots on the deck and maybe sweeping out the garage.

On the way to the school, our cell phones all went off with those annoying Amber Alerts.  Scared me half to death when one went off last night while watching tv.  Then again this morning before I picked the kids up.  Maddie says an alarm woke her at 3 a.m.  That's too damn intrusive, if you ask me. And yes, I know Amber Alerts are necessary but still....

Got an email from my Oregon cousin with the old picture album telling me he didn't have my address. Sure was thankful to hear from him 'cause I thought maybe he changed his mind and I had my heart set on seeing that book.

Read the Leader online this morning. Not much in it of interest although I did like this 'Looking Back' picture that a soldier took coming into PT in 1960.

Well, guess I'll fold the laundry so I can settle in on genealogy work without feeling guilty. Here's a video of Derek Hough and Ricki Lake that I've posted before but it's one of my favorites.  I used to watch this show without fail but I've grown weary of the judges and their showoff antics.

No comments:

Post a Comment