My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Monday, June 15, 2015

Change is good

I seem to be having a little harder time coping with change.  Perhaps it's an age thing.  I've always kind of liked things to go along smoothly and as predicted but these past years I've noticed, I'm probably liking it a little too much.  Any time I have to prepare for a trip (and we're only talking short jaunts here 'cause I don't travel) I find my stress level goes up.  Not a lot but enough to make me notice. Some times it's just a little nervousness (or excitement?) but it can develop into that ole topic we all deal with now and again -- diarrhea!  Nothing like a little case of diarrhea to put a crimp in your attitude!

Since I've had stomach and bowel problems (I think ever since I fell) I never know for sure if my body is telling me to quit eating a certain food group, if I have a bug, or if my body just plain wants me to quit eating so much.  Which is probably the case.  I have cut down, however.  Been forced to. I don't feel good if I eat a heavy meal.  Lately I don't feel good if I eat a light meal.

I know a lot of people who have had to deal with stomach and bowel issues as their body aged.  It's all a part of life and I can play that game.  I'm trying real hard to alter my eating habits and I think I'm getting there. At least some of the time.  Weight loss is preached at us constantly although I don't think most of us need to be reminded.  We know we're fat so shut up already!  ha ha

I know I could lose weight faster if I could exercise more.  I intend to start with stretching and short walks to see if I can get my body to agree with the movement.  My low back hurts so often anymore, even standing to do dishes or cut out a pattern causes discomfort and a search for a chair.  Damn nuisance!  I've got one walking stick and I'm thinking maybe I'm going to get a second one and see if I can maneuver on walks for longer periods of time.  This isn't something that's just started because it's been bothering me for many years.  Back surgery is not on my game plan. After having a knee and shoulder replaced, I'm not all that keen on having any surgery again but I'm not ruling out a hip replacement.  Man, my hip hurts somedays!  I have to really pick up my feet and pay attention when I walk outside (or inside as far as that goes).  I find my balance isn't graceful and I feel like I'm a fall waiting to happen.  sigh....

Well, enough on that subject.  I just woke up from a nap.  Sleep is another thing I cope with.  I can go to bed (depending on how tired I am) anywhere from 7:30 to 11.  Most of the time I drop off fairly quickly but those times I get up to pee can be a challenge to let me go back to sleep again.  I work real hard at NOT THINKING ABOUT STUFF!  Sometimes I'm successful; sometimes not.  I have found that naps in the recliner are something I dearly love -- and seem to need.  And I have to force myself up after an hour or I could put in two or three hours easy.  I don't like to do that 'cause it screws up my nighttime sleep.

I'm going to be sleeping on a firm mattrress for five nights this week and I'll be watching to see if I feel any better back wise.  I do love my memory foam mattress but sometimes I wonder if it's good for my back or not.  We'll see.  I'm always testing back and forth.

I've got my "very large" bag mostly packed as Hunter and I are taking off around 11 a.m. We'll park in Gig Harbor and Mary will pick us up at my cousin's house.  A lot less stress on me if I don't have to cope with driving on I-5. Especially if Chambers Bay Golf Tournament might mean more traffic. I'm looking forward to watching it on Mary and Andy's big tv screen.  Hunter will be doing chores for Andy like power washing, painting, and yard work.  I guess I've already mentioned all that.  I don't seem to get over to my blog page on a daily basis much anymore. Mostly because I just do the same things over and over most of the time.

Did go to the alumni reunion Saturday.  Took 93 pictures but had to delete almost a dozen because they were too blurry. Still got more learning to do on my camera. I'll post a few on my other blog for those of you who don't go to Facebook.  I did make an album there of everything I took.  Visit www.alumniofpths.blogspot.com to see the photos.  I also posted a short piece on my Town Kid blog at the Leader a few days ago called Port Townsend Memories. You can read it at www.ptleader.com and click on "blogs".

Been doing a little bit of sewing the last few days.  Made one quilt and started a second. As usual, I didn't think it through and my latest one doesn't line up the way it should. Mainly because I didn't want to cut off the little ants at the bottom of the pattern of the material I went to buy.  I remember now why I don't invest in material too often.  Gees, but it's expensive!  I only bought a yard or so of this cute baby flannel and a half yard of this cotton pattern on my 'little boy in a hat' quilt. Ended up costing me $23.  I think that's too much. I probably should have looked at Walmart or Joanne Fabrics first but I wanted to shop at this nice quilt shop across from Walgreens.

 It doesn't match up the way it should but I'll work with it anyhow. I didn't want to start ripping out seams to start over.  I'll put a could borders around the outside to see if I can't make it presentable. At least it's colorful and I was able to keep the little bugs at the bottom.
Here's two cartoons I saw on Facebook that cracked me up....

Well, off to post alumni pictures on 'Alumni of PTHS' blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment