My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Friday, October 2, 2015

A Remembering Kind of Day

October 2, 1963 is a day I usually remember.  52 years ago I met the guy I was to marry.  I was living in Portland, Oregon, with Mary Pearce and John sailed in on a Navy ship, the  USS Weiss.  Here's one of the few pictures I have of us before our marriage in January of 1964. Mary took it at our apartment on Emerson Street.  Man, were we ever young.  I had just turned 20 and he was 19.  Do we we look like we're in love?  Hee Hee   Well, we were for many years but as often happens, we eventually decided to go our separate ways.
I had a picture taken of us 40 years later when we were hanging around at the start of the kiddie parade in May of 2004. We had both changed A LOT!  That was 11 years ago and we look even more beat up these days.  Ha ha



We were pretty good looking for a while there.  This next photo was probably around 1978 or 1979.  We split up in 1982.

Gees, the morning is gone already.  I ran a couple of errands earlier and I'm finding my errand-running is often a CHORE!  At least today it was.  I only went to Wal-Mart and only spent less than $40 but my body just wasn't in the mood.  I came home and changed clothes and shoes.  I suspect I'm going to have to make more of an effort to exercise and make this ole body move.  She's rebelling at even the slightest movement some days.

I woke up with a backache so AGAIN I'm going to take off the memory foam for a week and see if I see a difference in how my body feels.  I keep trying to blame it on the mattress but we all know it's probably just plain old age and yeah....obesity.  There's always that!

I bought some vinegar at WM and intend to clean some windows today.  At least that's my plan. It may not happen for all the windows if my shoulders decide they aren't in the mood.  We'll see.  Also gotta clean out my receipt box.  I always put it off and then once I sit down and get going on it, I find it's a comfort to have it done and out of the way.  I probably save more stuff than I need to -- like cable bills and electric bills and such.

My niece in Pennsylvania emailed me that my mother fell a few days ago and got a hairline fracture of her hip. She's in a care facility for now and will probably need rehab.  May end up in a nursing home too. She'll be 90 this February. I wonder if I'll live that long. Her biological father made it to 95 but her mom only lived to be 35.  Died of TB.  My dad lived to be 83 so I suppose it's possible I could make it to the 80s.  Or not. I guess I'll find out sooner or later.  Ha!

As I turned in on my street this morning coming back from WM, I noticed this house a couple blocks from mine (that looked like it was empty) had a huge pile of stuff stacked on the curb.  Mattresses, toys, furniture, clothes, junk.  I wonder if the landlord kicked them out and is having their stuff hauled to the dump.  

I noticed a few quail across the street this morning.  They used to hang around all the time.
Been working steadily in the sewing room and am just about ready to start another quilt-as-I go blanket.  Going to be alternating squares of red and the pretty patterns I made from my favorite quilt book.  The back will be a bright design that looks like jigsaw puzzle pieces.  I've been listening to James Michenor's book 'Alaska' and it's getting pretty darned good.  Long, though.

Here's my latest picture of Jake. His nanny took it in the back yard.
Well, I guess I'd better get off this computer and get to those receipt boxes that need cleaning before I tackle the windows.  Nothing much on my agenda this weekend or week.  Am trying to curtail spending and watch my pennies more.  Money just isn't stretching like it used to and I need to curb nonessential expenses.

Here's a cute Gingerbread House I saw on Facebook.....

No comments:

Post a Comment