My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Wednesday, November 4, 2015

I'm Gonna Rip it up



Little Richard's song has been running through my mind today as I've spent WAY TOO LONG ripping seams out of my latest quilt.  All a learning process I keep telling myself.

I finished the top and cut the batting and the backing, set them out on the kitchen table, pinned them together, and was satisfied all was going well.  I attached my walking foot to my sewing machine and opted for some "extra strong" thread.  First mistake.

I sewed carefully but noticed that even with the walking foot, my stitches were way too small and tight.  I had my settings fixed so they'd be longer and they looked fine on my sample practice piece. As often happens, however, once I start sewing the quilt, the stitches get tiny and the back starts to pucker and move.  I just don't understand why. Especially with the walking foot.

After sewing a second seam, I realized it wasn't going to work so I proceeded to rip it out.  Re-positioned and repinned and tried again.  More puckers. Ripped out and tried once more. Nope. Not looking good.  So I decided I was going to rip out all the seams and tie the damn thing!  Unfortunately, the "extra strong" thread seam had a mind of its own.  If I wasn't as pleased as I was with the top, I think I might have tossed the whole thing in the trash.

It was slow slow slow trying to get those strong threads cut with the ripper. I'm maybe 2/3 of the way down that seam but I had to take a break.  Sometimes sewing is absolutely not a restful hobby.  Especially when you're not that great at sewing to start with.  I'm not giving up, though.  Here's what the top looks like.  It's just a lap quilt, thank goodness. If it was full size, I'd be ripping till the cows came home.
I finished listening to my audio book "The Hour I first believed" (excellent) and started a second book by Robert Ludlum.  It began skipping right away, however, so I gave up on that one. Sometimes the library audio books are difficult to listen to.  I did find a book I hadn't actually listened to in my own collection so I put that on. Chronicles by Bob Dylan read by Sean Penn.  It better pick up as I've listened to two discs so far and am bored to tears.

Boy, I sure look like hell today!  My hair is stringy and straight (didn't feel like curling it) and I think I'm close to making a beauty shop appt. to get it cut short again.  I hate paying $20 for a trim but I'm terribly uninterested in spending time in front of my morning mirror to use a curling iron.  My hair is so fine and thin anyhow; the curl doesn't actually hold all day.  But then I'm lazy about using "stuff" to go along with it. I might apply a little mousse but I seldom bother with hair spray or any of the other products you could use with fine hair.  Just not that important on my list of to-dos.  Easier to just look like an old bag and let it go.  ha ha

My match 4 ticket (which I play now instead of Hit 5 or Lotto or Mega or any of those others) almost made me rich last night. Called 3 of my 4 numbers.  Paid $20 which will buy my next ticket but I'd sure appreciate all four coming in before Christmas.  I'd get $10,000 (and not have to split if someone else wins too)  Only a matter of time.  I've even made out a mapquest direction of how to get from my house to Olympia where I'd have to drive to pick up my check.  That's how confident I am that I'm gonna win.

Was kind of surprised to see the frost on all the rooftops when I got up.  Not sure why. It is November, after all.  Guess I'd better roll up the garden hoses and put them in the garage.  Should probably do some weeding and clipping of the flower pots too.  I'll wait until we get a nice sunny day. Surely that will happen at least a few more times before winter arrives.

Maddie heads to Pasco tomorrow for the district meet in cross country. Her and another girl will be gone until Sunday.

My flat screen tv had no sound this morning but later in the day, the sound returned.  It's always had kind of "tinny" sound like something was amiss so I suppose the day is coming where I'm gonna have to dispose of it.  Hmmm...I wonder what the procedure is for unloading televisions?  I'll have to look into that I guess.

Tomorrow I think I'll try again to finish my quilt and then I'll start cutting out pieces for a new one. Want to try and use my cross stitch designs in some kind of wall hanging too.  Also need to get back on ancestry before my subscription runs out at the end of next month.  There might be some things on there I could still discover.

Off to my exercise bike now.  And then maybe a quick little nap in the recliner.   Maddie gave me a copy of her sophomore h.s. picture yesterday. Have to see about getting Hunter's next.


No comments:

Post a Comment