My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Sunday, November 29, 2015

Insomnia

Well, this is a fine state of affairs!  All day long I've been dragging around here tired and wondering where my energy went.  At 5 pm I wanted to go to bed but I knew that made no sense.  I held off until 9:30 and was all ready for a night in dreamland.  It didn't  take me long to drop off but about two hours later, Joycie Poo was awake.  My low back was hurting like crazy.  Or is it my hip?  Grrrr... I'm not in the mood.  Is it my mattress?  Perfectly fine mattress but perhaps I need to put the memory foam back on again.  It's become one of my more odd behaviors...putting on the soft mattress and then pulling it off to sleep on a firm mattress.  Back and forth I go.  Maybe I'm constipated.  Old fat ladies are always constipated.  Maybe it's that old obesity thing again.  Nah.....Arthritis?  Need a hip replacement? Pinched nerve?  None of the above or most of the above?

My back and/or hip has actually caused me a lot of problems for years.  I've learned to live with it and work around it but there are periods where I get mighty discouraged at not being able to be on my feet for too long.  Something is out of whack of that I'm sure.  Unfortunately, though, I've never been able to pinpoint what it is.  I had an MRI many years ago but basically they just wanted me to have another MRI on a different section of my spine.  What?!  It took all my nerve just to go through the first one.  I HATE those MRI tubes.  Too claustrophobic.

Some days I'm convinced it's a pinched nerve.  Especially when I have other issues with the legs and feet.  Whatever it is, I'm not keen on having surgery.  Having gone through a knee and shoulder replacement, I know that surgery is very hard on a person -- especially if they're overweight, out of shape, and OLD!  Seems like most of the people I know have some issue or another with body pain so I tell myself  to grit my teeth and buck up!  I would dearly like to be able to go for walks or go shopping or just hang out at places without having to find a place to sit.  That said, I also know I'm thankful I can walk at all.  Not everyone can.

Since I can't call anyone (it's now 1 a.m.) I thought I would fix myself a cup of cocoa and write a few paragraphs on my blog.  My blog writing has been hit and miss this past year.  Some days I am regular as clockwork and then I get busy doing other things (but not interesting enough things to share) and I let the blog slide.  I haven't been very diligent about keeping my journal up either. I seem to go in spurts.  Then again, my diary notations are mostly reports on what body part is hurting.  I'm so pathetic.  (but at least I know it)  Ha!

I did a lot of sewing this week and will continue on that hobby for the next week or two.  Maybe even longer.  I am finding the time spent in my sewing room with an audio book keeping me company, very relaxing.  Sometimes I head on back to the computer and work on my genealogy files a bit.  Both activities are fun for me.

I couldn't get into sewing today so I sat down to finish a book.  It was a darn good one too!  The Breakdown Lane by Jacquelyn Mitchard.  I'm going to give it to Jenni, hoping she'll read it.  About a woman whose husband deserts her and the kids to "be a hippie" and then she gets MS.  Her teenage son ends up taking over this newspaper column she writes (a Dear Abby type) and it's a huge success.
The story weaves through the trials of the kids dealing with their absent dad and their mom becoming more disabled.  Apparently it was based on a true story.  Very good writing. She also wrote "The deep end of the ocean."  My next book is an autobiography by Ken Osmond (Eddie Haskell).

My oldest daughter turns 51 on Monday so I'm having her and her husband over for dinner tomorrow night along with a friend of theirs.  Mushroom meatballs with mashed potatoes and chocolate pie. I might have her help me string some outdoor Christmas lights in the back yard if she's willing (and if I feel halfway decent).

I post most of my photos on Facebook now but I know not everyone goes to that website so I'll post a few here too.
                 Thanksgiving dinner at Jenni & Waynes.  Ed, Wayne's dad came too
                                         Maddie helping her mom prepare dinner
 Cousins at a recent birthday party: Dale, Denny, Arlie, and Arlies son & grandson, Todd  & Ryan
                       Lee turns 80 with daughters Kim and Michelle and wife Elaine
 An old picture I found online of Fairmont Restaurant here in W. Port Angeles
                 Hunter in the backyard.  Him and Maddie have drivers permits now
 Maddie oblivious to the world as she does what teenagers do - texting
                                        Andy and Jake building.  Sooooo cute.
                                             My rearranged (again) sewing room

                         Some of my counted cross stitch designs I'm working on
                                      My brother, Dana, is buying my guitar
 Saw this on Facebook -- cousin Linda with three of her daughters in Kentucky
More stuff I'm working on. Found these cross stitch designs in a thrift shop and they were very well made. I gathered them up and sewed material around to make wall hangings.

Well, it's going on 1:30 a.m. now so maybe I'll try to go back to bed.  Or not.  Think I'll sleep in the recliner as it's usually easier on my back.

No comments:

Post a Comment