My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

20 more days

Not much to report today.  Sue drove me to a 1/2 hour meeting downtown at the Angeles Joint clinic where they talked about what to expect in rehab.  Only me and one other guy were there.  His birthday is 9-24 and he's having his left knee replaced that day too.

Watched a movie on Netflix this morning (Ethan Frome) with Liam Neeson. Sitting here watching Wheel of Fortune now and will try to stay up for Jeopardy too. Jen stayed over last night but she decided to head home for tonight. That's a good thing.  I can get my own shower and get dressed and halfway fix small meals for myself. Thank God for the walker.

Nausea has passed for the most part so I assume it was that antibiotic making me sick.  I'm taking ibuprofen every 4-6 hours but trying to hold it at that. Tylenol just didn't seem to be helping.  Home health physical therapist comes tomorrow and Mary comes on Saturday so she'll help me with more exercises too.

I finally got my nerve up to open bills. Dentist came to over $600. Wish I could afford dental insurance but my fixed income just won't handle the premiums.  I know medicare isn't going to pay for a lot of my hospital pills too so I'll deal with that when the time comes.  Have to focus in other areas for now.

Mary McMinn's grandson, Doyle, called me from Sequim today and said her obit was in the Leader today. He asked me to encourage people to visit her celebration of life at Fort Worden.  I forget the day but I'm sure it's listed in the paper. Wish I could go.  He said his dad, Jim, had knee replacement surgery and is very active now and happy he had it done.

Jenni and Maddie stopped in to use my printer.  She tested the printing by typing www on a plain sheet of paper. (she knows how I feel about waste)  Anyhow, we joked about it and I said I can always reuse the paper printing on the other side.  Then she scrunched the paper up and threw it in the trash.  That's her sense of humor.  We did laugh.

Happy Birthday to my pal, Carol Musial, in Bremerton.  And Happy Birthday to my friends on FB. I do read FB on my phone to keep up on peoples' posts but I haven't felt like posting anything myself yet.

Sounds like we're in for a little rain in the days ahead.  I don't mind. Kind of nice to sit inside and watch it come down.  My mood is raising a little more every day. I even managed to knit one row on my afghan.  One thing this ordeal has shown me is that I might just look into caregiving when I'm well.  Not the heavy duty stuff where you have to lift people but I'd like to be of help to a shut-in or two by dropping in to clean, cook, visit, and run errands.  You can feel so isolated and depressed without contact.  What surprised me about my situation was how it knocked me for a loop anxiety-wise and energy wise.  Obviously more was or still is going on besides the banged up knee.  All the books I want to read and I haven't picked up one yet.  Maybe tomorrow.

My appetite is slowly returning so I'm hoping my lab work will reflect an improvement. I called Crestwood Nursing Home today to ask about what kind of things to take and they said I'd probably be in a room with one other person.  That will be nice.  There are a lot of programs in place to help people through injuries and for that I'm thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment