My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Just one damn thing after another!

Falling SPLAT! on your face and injuring your knee is one thing, but man, I somehow managed to screw up other body parts as well.  I knew something was "off" because I just wasn't getting my act together.  Depression I could understand but the fatigue, loss of appetite, anxiety, (plus sore knee and arms, poor sleeping, etc) was wearing me down.  Every day I seemed to be stuck and couldn't get any energy generated.

From what I've been reading online, (and I'll find out more Friday when I see my doctor), it could be the stress I was under affected my adrenal gland. Apparently, it can peter out if your stress level is ongoing and that makes you tired, listless, and so forth.  My sed rate (which I'm not even sure what that is) was not good. Perhaps it has to do with sodium levels.  Anyhow, I was anemic, had a UTI at one point, and then the knee got a nasty infection on top of it all.

I've lost track of how many times blood has been drawn.  Today, Sue took me to see my surgeon and IF
my regular doctor gives her okay on Friday, my surgery is still scheduled for Sept. 24.  Other factors are coming into play,however, so I'm a tad uneasy that the date might be pushed back.  I hope not.  My knee hurts all the time and I can barely get around with a walker some days.

After I saw my surgeon (and she was much nicer to me today so I'm not as scared of her as I was), we went over to the hospital lab.  I was there for close to two hours!  First you have to have your name called (even though I had a 10:30 appt all set up) then you get registered and sit some more. Then you get called again.

As I heard my name, Sue started to push the wheel chair to one window (she was sitting down in a chair next to me) and I told her...no, it's around the corner that they want me.  Still sitting, she backed up the wheelchair to get me going in the other direction and she ran over her foot. She had thin flats on. It hurt!  She started to cry.  People watching became the high spot for all the others sitting in there.  I got into the lab and they drew blood, a doctor came and gave me a shot and I had to sit for a half hour to get more blood drawn.  Then I had to sit for another half hour, and have a third blood draw.  Then I had to pee in a cup.  That was a story in itself.

I couldn't go at first. Made Sue go in with me (she wasn't thrilled) and while she ran the faucet, I tried to pee on demand.  They gave me what they call a "nun's hat" to use.  It sits on the toilet under the seat and you pee into it and then you can pour into the tiny cup. Interesting concept.  Much easier than trying to hit the cup.  Afterwards I left the 'hat' on the toilet as I wasn't sure what to do with it.  They told me they're discarded but I told them that was a waste as they're quite handy and should be cleaned and reused.  I think they thought I was wacky.

I was REALLY happy when we finally got to leave.  I drove around the block to find the clinic I have to go to on Friday when I see my regular doctor about the results of the blood tests I had today.  Am dreading that.  I think they call it adrenal insufficiency but supposedly, it can be taken care of and shouldn't affect the surgery postponement.  I hope.

I went back to the dentist a couple days ago because my front tooth was zinging (all four on top are dead and I can't feel them). He did more x-rays and this time said I had an abscess starting.  Why it wasn't found the first time I don't know.  Maybe it takes a while to show up.  You can't have surgery with any infection somewhere else so he arranged for me to see a Sequim dentist tomorrow. He'll do TWO root canals within a two-hour time frame.  Jenni is taking me just because I'm not keen on going alone.  Going to cost $2000 and if he doesn't get all the infection out, surgery is postponed. Period.

While at the surgeon's office this morning, she told me I'll have a spinal block. Also told me again about all the dangers in surgery.  I can get blood clots, an infection (and the knee replacement would have to be done over) or the knee could fail, and all kinds of other gentle thoughts like I could lose a limb or my life!  I told her I knew she was obligated to name the risks but now I needed another pill for anxiety!

Sue and I stopped at Jack in the Box after our errands. I needed a chocolate milk shake after all the trauma of the day.  First one in weeks and I drank it all!  Got home to find a birthday card in the mail with a big ole "70" on the front.  I can vaguely remember turning 60 and not being all that thrilled about it.  70 just plain pisses me off!  Still.... it's better than the alternative, I suppose.

I've decided to try taking my Prozac at bedtime instead of in the morning. I wonder if that was contributing to my needing a nap all day long.  I know it's suppose to take a while for that stuff to kick in.  I guess I feel a little calmer....but not much.  It's hard being high strung and neurotic.

Well, I guess I've rattled on enough about the latest medical journey I'm on. Gets boring after a while but this is my life right now.  I know I'll have a room mate at the nursing home so maybe my depression will lessen with company.  If the surgery stays on track, I check in super early on the 24th and I think go to Crestwood on the 27th or 28th. My goal is to be home two weeks (or less) later but it all depends on how well I conquer the physical therapy.

Kind of feels like when I was pregnant. I'm scared and I know it's gonna hurt and I don't want to do it but too late now....I'm going along for the ride, like it or not!

Finally figured out why my blog wasn't letting me sign in.  I have to use Chrome instead of Explorer when I get online. You'd think they'd at least warn a person. I'm too tired to proofread this now. Sorry for any errors.

No comments:

Post a Comment