My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Thursday, October 24, 2013

Guess it's time I posted something

Been over a week since I posted on this blog. Mainly because I just haven't felt much like being online. Also don't have much to say but then, that never stopped me before.  Ha!

It's been a month since my knee replacement.  One small part of the incision continues to bleed a bit so I have to keep it bandaged and doctored up with ointment.  Doc says I had a staph infection in it so I was taking antibiotics.  (which I'm pretty sure made me feel crummy)  Anyhow, I've got two days to go on those so I'm hoping my tummy will get back to normal.

The knee doesn't really bother me much and I'm walking around the house with no cane or walker. I do take a cane when I leave the house, though.  Am thankful I can drive so I don't have to depend on Jenni to chauffeur me.  I thought I'd feel a lot more chipper by this time but I suppose it's the drugs I'm still on that are keeping me down.  I feel tired most of the time but then I'm not sleeping much because of the shoulder/arm pain. Started going to a chiropractor this week as the discomfort is just plain not improving.  I'll be starting physical therapy for my knee next week, I guess. Doctor didn't want me to go with an infection.  Which makes sense.

I really need to work up my energy level to go get a haircut. I look like hell most of the time. Takes all my resolve just to make a Safeway run.  I know how to use the motorized carts now but I'm terribly jerky spinning down the aisles and more than one person has eyed me suspiciously.

I mailed off three of my TOWN KID books the other day at the local substation near me.  They have about 4 or 5 people who wait on you depending on the day and I can always count on the price being different depending on who's weighing the package.  This irks me because they should all be the same. The kid who waited on me a few days ago was a total jerk.  Didn't open up at 9 a.m. like they're supposed to and took his sweet time opening up the window when he knew I'd been standing there for over 10 minutes.  When he told me what the price was, I told him I didn't think everybody was getting properly trained at this job because the day before the price was different.  His answer was:  Well, I wasn't here yesterday so I don't know about that.

I decided I'd had enough poor customer service so I called the PA postoffice to complain.  They said they were going to look into it although they didn't seem that upset that my price was coming up different; they didn't like that the window wasn't being opened on time.  The postmaster also told me if I sign my book before mailing, then it's considered first class and I can't use book rate.  What a bunch of baloney!  For one thing, how are they going to know if I signed the book or not?  Sometimes I do; sometimes I forget.  That's just NOT RIGHT!

I woke up a little nauseated again this morning.  Kind of reminds me of morning sickness days of long ago. I'm thoroughly sick and tired of being sick and tired!  I forced myself to run a load of laundry, run the dishwasher, and clean the shower and toilet in my bathroom.  That was about all I could muster up.
Been trying to get a "group folder" set up on my gmail so I can send out emails about my book but it's a slow process and I probably won't get it done until next week.

A friend of mine who has the bead shop in PT offered to throw a book signing for me once I'm up and on my feet again.  I'm so relieved.  She's in a good spot down on Water Street too.  Thanks Lois!

Daughter Sue and her husband are in California visiting his folks. Daughter Jenni is at Ramblewood Camp at a 3-day scrapbooking retreat. She goes every year and really has fun.  I hope she does this time too although I know she's feeling a little under the weather and threw up yesterday.  My sister has the flu too so perhaps the bug is going around.  I'm going to get a flu shot when I see my doctor on Nov. 1st.

Mary Gaboury called me from Yuma a few days ago and said a friend down there is taking her to LA to be a guest in the audience of The Price is Right and Let's Make a deal.  I don't watch those shows but I think I will now to see if I can see her.  Sure would be cool if she was picked to be a contestant.

I signed up for AARP drug program but I haven't been told by medicare yet what my penalty fee will be.  The AARP program is $29.50 a month and $310 deductible.  Which I could manage BUT since I didn't sign up in 2008 when I was first eligible, medicare gets to tack on a PERMANENT FEE.  I have no idea how high this fee is going to be but if it's too much, I'll just cancel out.  When I was eligible for medicare, I was only taking one drug and it was $3 a month.  Course I had no idea that falling on my face was going to completely alter my budget.  The prescriptions I've had to buy since I fell total about $476.

On the other hand, if I had been paying a drug premium these past five years, my out of pocket dough would be around $1800.  It's hard to know which way to go; especially if you're relatively healthy most of the time.  One way or another, though, THEY will take your money away from you!

Well, I guess I've ranted enough for one day. I don't get out often enough to take any pictures.  My phone camera is a pretty good one but the phone has been acting up something awful lately so I switched back to my little blue cell phone.  Unfortunately, though, it's on the blitz too. Yesterday it just went black right in the middle of a conversation and it was hard getting it back up.  I think I'll switch phones again and try this third one I have.  (Mary:  I am ready for something new -- and will be more than happy to pay for it!)

No comments:

Post a Comment