My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Where to start?

During my long weeks of not being able to accomplish much of anything, I would lay in bed at night thinking about each room in the house and how I planned to dispose of "junk", organize papers better, sort through receipts and photos and cards, and make Goodwill trips to downsize.  As I look around at each room and closet, I'm overwhelmed at just how much work I'm looking at.

For someone who thought she was a fairly organized person, I think I got that wrong.  I've got so much to do, I hardly know where to start.  The closet in the hallway and the closets in the bedrooms will require using a stepstool to go up and down. I'm not quite ready for that.  Am even thinking about hiring Maddie to come over and retrieve items from high shelves for me so I can organize at ground level while sitting on the bed.

I don't know why I get these urges to clean when I'm at my lowest level of physical strength. Last night I laid in bed from 9 to 12 absolutely miserable from the shoulder/arm pain.  I finally got up and decided to try sleeping in the recliner.  Next thing I knew it was 4:30, then 7 a.m.  I wonder if my chiropractor appointments are doing more harm than good. It's hard to know.  Either I waited way too long and this pain is to be expected or I need to consider an alternative method of healing.  I'll be glad to talk to the physical therapist on Thursday as I really think I need another opinion on whether I'm walking on the right path to health.

Meanwhile, I think I'll concentrate on just this room for the next few days.  Even if I only do a small section at a time, sooner or later, I'm bound to see the light at the end of the tunnel.  I think I need better organizing skills.  Sometimes you can get so many piles going, that it's hard to stay on track.  I guess that will be my challenge for November.  I need to stop watching the HGTV station with all its remodeling and storage ideas. Too much information and I need to keep it simple.

It's 9:05 a.m.  So far today, I've managed to shower, shampoo, dress my knee wound, wash a load of laundry, eat breakfast, unload the dishwasher, work a crossword puzzle, and blog.  Even though I've had my one cup of coffee for the day, I'm still feeling tired and all I can think about is heading to my recliner for a rest before I start round two.  I hope this is just the morning blahs.   I can remember when mornings were my high peak performance hours and I was a whirlwind of activity crossing off chores on my to-do list.  Now I have to force myself to get even the simple chores completed.

I know I'm 70 and I know that fall did a real number on my body but still....I want my energy  back to a level I can be happy with. I've got stuff to do, places to go, mountains to climb....yet my butt still ends up in the recliner.  Sigh.......

No comments:

Post a Comment