My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Friday, September 11, 2015

A Day in the Sewing Room

I've been having such a delightful time hanging out in my sewing room this week.  Am actually staying in there longer than I usually do. I'm sure it's because I rearranged the furniture, my chair, and placed the computer chair mat in there so I can roll around.  I've been watching how-to videos on YouTube (I know. I'm repeating myself) but it's given me a new confidence to try things that I wouldn't in the past.

Today I wanted to dispose of odds and ends of material projects left sitting and odd pieces of material tossed aside.  It's very hard for me to throw anything away that could possibly be used so my little creations are pretty unique.  Or should I say - cornbally.  But that's okay. Once I get the batting in, the backing on, the binding done, they'll be usable for toss around quilts or lap pads.  Here's two....
I often search thrift shops for old sheets that are in good condition as it's way cheaper to use them for backing (and quilt squares and strips) than to invest in all new material.  I'd certainly like to buy material as there's some fabulous stuff on the market these days but my budget dictates I spend my play money on gambling. ha ha    The quilt shown above has three different sheets worked into the design.  (strips going down)

I started with the three neat squares in the middle that I was playing around with when I was trying to learn how to make different patterns.  I wanted to use them up quickly so I could get to some of the other things I had laying around so I opted to just add strips along the side.  Putting on the backing and batting will be done tomorrow.  If my back agrees, that is.

The other little lap quilt I sewed today looks pretty sad but it'll do for a lap quilt in the car or something.
I had an abundance of this yellow and black plaid material that would probably make a man's shirt but I'm not into sewing clothes anymore.  The little squares are not at all aligned properly cause I cut them each into tiny little squares and then sewed them together one by one.  (not the way you're supposed to do it and I won't do it again.)

I didn't want to toss all 16 squares away after I'd gone to all the trouble of cutting and sewing them so I decided to just surround them with ugly plaid material and add the batting and backing.  Would never win a ribbon but then I wasn't aiming for that. I was aiming to use them quickly.

Once I get these two put together, I'm going to try and make a jelly roll quilt where you sew all these strips together. If you want to see the video, go on YouTube and search "40 minute scrap quilt with Valerie Nesbitt."

I had to go out in the garage to retrieve a fan as the sewing room got kind of stuffy as the afternoon went on.  I did manage to get a few things accomplished today besides sewing.  One load of laundry and three letters. Oh, and I got the car washed.  Major accomplishment but I went slow and told my back and shoulders they were going to cooperate or else!

Maddie posted a picture on Facebook of her and her friends so I'll add that here along with one that Mary sent me of Jake and his new nanny, Shonie.
                                                            Maddie is in the green shirt
Saw this next picture on Facebook and thought it was super gross.
World's biggest snake Anaconda found in Africa's Amazon river. It has killed 257 human beings and 2325 animals. It is 134 feet long and 2067 kgs. Africa's Royal British commandos took 37 days to get it killed.

Well, I see there's no golf on tv this weekend; just football so I guess I'll occupy myself in the sewing room again. Maybe I'll go up to the library and pick up a couple of audio books. I need to go that way in about a half hour or so anyhow as I have to pick up the teens at the high school.

Finished an autobiography about Tony Curtis last night. It was kind of interesting to read some of the stuff he wrote about other stars.  Was also interesting to read in black and white just how full of himself he was.  He died in September 2010.

Got a book in the mail today that I forgot I had ordered.
I know it's not "my Charley" that I've been trying to locate but I thought it would be nice to have in my collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment