My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Tuesday morning

I'm feeling a whole lot better than I did yesterday. I had had insomnia the night before and wasn't able to sleep in the next morning because of rude neighbors with barking dogs so my whole day was kind of off.  I did take it pretty easy, though, so that was fine.  I watched golf, baked a pan of brownies, took them over to Jen's house (except for a few for me, of course) and then I pretty much loafed off and on until bedtime.

Jenni told me that I could watch YouTube on my tv using my Roku device so I was especially pleased to play around with that last night.  Went first, of course, to my own videos.  Apparently, you can also watch Facebook that way so I'm going to try it out next.  I've thought several times about cancelling my cable tv but I doubt it will come to that.  There is so much I DON'T watch but just enough that I do, that I feel I'd be missing out.  Like golf, football, certain news shows, Wheel of Fortune, political debates, a whole lot on PBS, award shows, and every now and again, certain tv programs.  Besides, I have FOUR TVs in this house now and it seems silly to think about not having some programs to watch.

I get a few channels I don't subscribe to on the large digital set in my bedroom. Channels like Root Sports, Hallmark, Animal Planet, cartoons, and AMC.  Not sure why the digital allows me to get them but I'm fine with it --even though I seldom watch tv in bed, it's nice to know it's there.  Most of my viewing is done via Netflix and Amazon Prime but there are other channels you can watch for free or pay as you go using the Roku.

It's not even noon yet and I've been yawning all morning long. I suppose I should have tried to stay in bed longer than 6:45 but sometimes you just wake up and decide it's time to start your day.  I stopped at the neighborhood grocery store to buy stamps, pick up a match 4 ticket, and send off a box. I'd printed a label for it but they're still going to deduct $8 from my refund to cover the postage cost.  That's the problem with buying via catalogs that don't have free returns.  I'll learn one of these days.

I went to Safeway and spent about $25 (fruit, vegetables, meat mostly) and then proceeded to hit a few stores to see if I could find a computer chair mat to put under my chair in the sewing room.  I called a few places first so I wasn't having to run in and run out but it still wore me out and two places required that I go in and look myself.  Like Goodwill.  Didn't find what I was looking for but I did spend $20 on material.  Sheets mostly but they were in really good shape and will be handy for quilts.  This was one of the heavier and brightest.
I also bought a red one and a green one -- both very bright and usable for cutting up.  Watched a few how-to videos on YouTube about quilt making and am anxious to try some of the tips I learned.  A slow process, of course.  Getting the material washed, dried, pressed, and cut is a huge pre chore in itself.

When I came out of Serenity House, I clicked on my car key, heard it ding, opened my driver's door and stared at a seat full of stuff that wasn't my stuff!  Hmmm....I guess he (or she) didn't lock their door)  Saw my car across the lot waiting for me.  Ha!

Got an early birthday present in the mail a few days ago. My sister made me a neat bag and a cute doll I named Rhonda.


Am going to have to stop (this time I mean it!) feeding the birds.  The pigeons invariably return once they discover I've set out seed.  Yesterday, a deer came up to the window in front and nibbled on plants that Sue had planted for me (and they weren't that cheap either!).  Even when I rush out there clapping my hands and hollaring, he just looks at me and takes his sweet time retreating.
Hunter came by and chopped down a large bush-like tree I had growing on the curb. Never did like that bush. We removed one just like it a few weeks ago that was closer to the house.  It's already getting leaves growing on the stump, though, so it will probably grow back completely sooner or later.

Finished a book night before last. Sea Glass by Anita Shreve. Thank you Cousin Cindy. I enjoyed it.

The neighbors next door are moving out today.  They're waiting for a van to arrive to take their stuff to Alabama and then the new people will come. They'll be the 4th family moving in since I moved here in Dec. 2008.

Mary sent me a few pictures of Jake and Andy at the park yesterday so naturally I have to share those.

                                                            Is he cute or what?!

Well, it was kind of breezy and gray outside when I started writing  but the sun is peeking through so perhaps it's gonna warm up. September weather doesn't seem to know what it's doing a lot of the time.  Think I'll heat up a bowl of tomato soup and work a crossword puzzle before taking a quick nap in the recliner. I got a new puzzle book in the mail today that I had forgotten I sent for. It's from Turner Classic Movies and the theme, of course, is 'the oldies.'  That should be fun.

Think I need to get on my exercise bike too.  Darn ole knees are just stiff and achy today. More than usual.  And am getting little electric shock like zingers shooting through every once in a while. I wonder what that is.  Aggravation!  That's what it is!

Optometrist office just called and I'm having new lens put in my frames next Monday. Can't afford new frames. At least not right now.  Medicare paid for the exam but I still have to dish out $159 for the glass part.  Seems excessive to me.

Mary Gaboury called last night and said Dave is suffering from a kidney stone.  Man, I hope I never have to go through that.  Or shingles! Or any of the other stuff that can befall a person nowadays. Even the flu knocks me for a loop in these later years of mine.  It's hard stayin' alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment