My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Friday, September 7, 2012

A New Blog on the Leader & Around the house

I decided to make a new blog on the Leader website yesterday. Figured the answers to the questions I'll probably post twice a week might be more interesting if I had a bigger audience. Thanks to those half dozen folks who've already signed in.  You can participate easily too. Website is www.ptleader.com    Click on blogs/What Do You Say -- And then comment at the bottom.

Looks like another nice summer day. Will probably heat up a bit in late afternoon but I've got my fans ready and may even sit out front in my recliner lawn chair to read. Too hot on the deck in the afternoon and I've put away my lawn table and chairs in readiness for rainy weather. The chairs are in the garage but I decided to put the round table in the back bedroom as I can always use another table around here.  There's just a single bed in there now so there was enough room. Wayne helped me maneuver it through three doors to get it in.

I've been experimenting with my coffee. Not the brand but the way I drink it from a cup.  I like the french vanilla liquid creamer from Safeway but the price keeps going up and I needed to try something else.  I don't go to drive-thru coffee windows as my budget won't allow that and lotto tickets too.  Ha!  Anyhow, I found that a 1/2 tsp. of Splenda and 1 tsp. of the powdered french vanilla wasn't making my coffee the light brown color I prefer.  I had to keep using more powder and figured I was defeating the purpose.  I happened to have a leftover can of evaporated milk in the fridge so I poured in a little bit of that with the other two dry ingredients and WA-LAAA  I've got a tasty creamy
sweet coffee to my liking.  Evaporated milk is cheaper than coffee creamer I'm pretty sure.  I just never could get my taste buds to accept black coffee...although I am okay with black tea.

I've been trying to eat healthy these past few years.  I need to try harder as my weight continues to climb.  I am taking steps to fix that, though, and FINALLY this morning the scale reflected a little loss.  Not a lot but enough to let me know the little things I'm doing are working.  Like riding my bike more.  I went out early this morning as I knew it was going to warm up today and I can't tolerate riding in the heat.  I did close to 40 minutes just up and down my street.

If I ride from my house three blocks down to Yvonne's, it's a pretty easy ride as it's got a downhill slant.  Coming back is a little harder but my goal is to be able to ride back without feeling like death is at my door.  Ha Ha  Most of the time I just ride the long block in front of my place back and forth as it's more level.  I've noticed some of the neighbors have started to do the same thing.

I picked up a stylus pen at Walmart yesterday to use on my Smart phone.  My fingers just can't text that easily yet.  I had two pens around here but I think I gave one to Maddie and the other one "got lost."  They cost $14 a piece. I stood there trying to decide if I wanted to pay that much. Knew I had to have one if I wanted to get anywhere on my phone so I threw it in my cart muttering under my breath about what a ripoff it was.

I fixed scrambled eggs, toast, and hash browns for breakfast.  Bought a few sweet potatoes as they're supposed to be full of potassium.  Thought I'd see how one fried up and it was pretty tasty. I've been adding tumeric to a lot of my cooked dishes. (another foot cramp remedy)
This particular plate was one of those kits that you decorate and then send off to have the design implanted.  I've never been able to draw worth a darn so I opted to use favorite movie sayings recorded around the plate. Stuff like:  I'm walkin' here! What a Dump! Well that'll be the day! Oil me! Thank you, Thank you very much! You Talkin' to me?! What we have here is a failure to communicate! Fasten your seatbelts; It's going to be a bumpy ride! Go ahead..Make my day!

I'm just about ready to start another journal. I've got two diaries to transcribe now and I know it's going to take me a while. I was surprised to find that the two books covered SEVEN YEARS!

The pink/green diary is 3 years (2005-2008) and the white one is 2008 to today. I've got past years (1970-2005) transcribed and on disk but unfortunately a couple years or more are missing and my daily entries are mostly STUPID STUFF that make no sense.  I really need to go into more detail when I'm yakking about my day. 

I sent for a couple of books on half.com. Lent 'Memories of a Prairie Bitch' to Jenni and I'm reading 'The Way I see it' by Melissa Anderson. (Mary on Little House on the Prairie)  Interesting stuff but then you'd have to be a fan to appreciate it.  I guess I knew it but had forgotten that Nellie's brother on the show (Willie) is Melissa Gilbert's (Laura) real life brother.

Okay. Time to get busy on that quilt on my kitchen table.  I never did get to it yesterday because cleaning out my closets and drawers took all afternoon.  What a hard job it is to decide to donate old clothes.  I ended up filling a medium sized bin with a lot of things I just wasn't ready to give away yet.  Like my t-shirts of The Sopranos and Officer and a Gentleman.  I did throw close to 20 items into the black giveaway bag, however, and half a dozen pairs of shoes.
I went into the back bedroom closet to see what I could thin from that area but I wasn't too successful.
I had a dozen sweat shirts but since our weather is cold around here a lot of the year, I figured I needed those.  Probably could have donated three or four but I wasn't ready.  I also had a few coats too many but I'll try again another day.  In the back of the closet are a few pretty dresses (that don't fit and haven't fit for some time) but I can't part with them yet.  They're too new looking...even if they are polyester, the material that makes my grandkids laugh.

I've got some polyester pants (colors are purple, green, blue, black) with a crease down the center that are totally comfortable and totally out of style. But I don't care.  I'm old and I can wear whatever I want--even if the kids do laugh.

I watched a good flick on Netflix last night. 'Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont.' About an old lady living in this hotel in England with other seniors who waits patiently for her grandson to come visit. Good story line. 

Off to the kitchen now.  One of my goals is to eat less bread.  To me, that means better bake up some breakfast muffins then.  And since I have some All Bran cereal and yogurt and berries onhand, I think that's just what I'm going to do.

And here's a song I'm dedicating to my new car.....








No comments:

Post a Comment