My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Monday, September 10, 2012

Food

Whenever I'm trying to drop some weight by eating healthier foods and eating less and trying to exercise a bit more (notice I don't say the word "diet" outright) all I can think about pretty much is FOOD.  Which is obviously why I have a weight issue in the first place.  On that note, I'll share food pictures. 

I made some bran muffins the other day so I'll have one of those for breakfast in place of toast. Once they're gone, though, I'll probably go buy bread again.  But it will be bread that is healthy. Actually, now that I type those words, I realize I'd probably make more headway if I avoided breads altogether. We'll see...that's an iffy one.
These muffins are really tasty -- and easy to make. It's the All Bran Cereal recipe although I added a few blueberries and walnuts this time.

For dinner last night I cooked corn on the cob.  Had to go searching for that video on YouTube again to make sure how to cook it where the husk covering falls off easily. (4 minutes)  Yesterday afternoon I made up salads for the next five days. I'm more apt to have a salad if it's already made up and waiting for me.
I put a little effort into this batch. Added chicken, hard boiled eggs, tomatoes, celery, cucumber, apple, green peas, broccoli, carrots, and lettuce.

I was sitting at the kitchen table yesterday working on tying my quilt when I heard this sound that I thought was a large bird.  Figured out it was a frog and when I quietly went out on the porch to hunt for it (I thought it was in one of my potted flower plants), the croaking stopped. I think he must have seen me standing there.  I gave up and went back inside.

(Yes, my blog is down to discussing frogs on my porch now)

Sure was heart-warming to see JP Patches, the local TV clown from yesteryears getting so much attention.  He deserved it.  I streamed in Breaking Bad Saturday (cost me $2) because I couldn't find it anywhere online.  It left me sitting there wondering....the brother-in-law found some kind of records in a book but darned if I know what the book revealed.  I may have to go on the website to read the comments. Surely I'm not the only one who didn't get it.

I spent a little time yesterday updating my password list. It seems to get longer all the time.  I may work on cleaning up computer files today.  Everytime I think I've got a handle on things, I notice little odds and ends cluttering up my documents and my external harddrive.

I asked her if I could share her picture and name on my blog and she was agreeable so I'd like to introduce my latest sister, Marian, born in 1966 and living in NC.
My mother had ten kids--3 boys and 7 girls. Marian is the youngest.  Her and her brother were put up for adoption by my mother back in the 60's and they were adopted by the same family. My half sisters in Pennsylvania asked me in 2003 when I visited if I could try to locate the two adopted kids.
Following what clues they had, I eventually connected with Marian on Facebook.

She is married, has three adult children, one grandson, and works as an ICU nurse.  I think she resembles Kathleen, another sister back there. We've talked on Skype once and are getting to know each other via emails. I sent her a copy of my book 'The Alphabet of my Life' so she could learn more about me and her other half siblings in Washington.

I just finished breakfast and the day looms ahead.  I made the mistake of looking up the side effects of the prescription I'm taking for my foot and leg cramps. Gabapentin.  I have to try and remember that ALL drugs list SEVERAL side effects.  I have had relief from the cramps but of course, there's still a bit left from time to time.  Not foot or toe cramps as much as a weird, almost numbing like sensation on the outside of both legs near the ankle area and just above.

I've got this other pain (had it for months) that sometimes seems to go along with it so I assume it's related.  It's on the upper inside  thigh up high and when I googled it, I found a page where dozens of people wrote about the exact same thing.  Many went through xrays, MRIs, chiroprators, and several other tests by their doctor to try and get to the bottom of it. Nothing was ever pinpointed although a few thought it was nerve entrapment.  One guy said to look up "Pudendal nerve entrapment" and "Femural nerve entrapment."  I intend to do that today.  Some of the folks writing in were in agony with terrible cramps and pain but thankfully, mine haven't progressed to that.

Guess I'll go pour a second cup of coffee and maybe even take the dog for a quick walk around the neighborhood.  I've got to get this morning fog shaken out of my head and fresh air seems the best solution.  Gonna clean up some computer files today, do some writing, and think I'll post another question on my Leader blog.

Mary and Andy just got back from a weekend vacation at Whistler. Here's a couple of pictures they posted on FB.

 
Oh....and thanks for the comments about Fort Worden.  I think my cousin in Tacoma is going to try and get a handicapped placard for her folks this week. If she has that, we can go to the Fort Worden office and get a free pass for the day.

1 comment:

  1. If you have a placard you don't need to go to the office to get a pass. The placard takes the place of the pass but the person the pass belongs to needs to be with you to legally use it. The person with the placard also carries a card from the State of Washington and the two need to match up. Gets so complicated, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete