My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Monday, July 28, 2014

Trying to Stay Cool

Yesterday I spent hours working on one of the limbs of my family.  I needed to update my notes and try to put things in better order so I can eventually keep everything in one notebook.  I ended up with 9 pages and over 3000 words of files I needed to edit and repair.  It was fun but wore me out too.  I decided to hone in on my mother's adoptive family -- the Blanchards and Nisbets of Chimacum.  Found a few pictures on ancestry.com that people had put on their trees so I was happy to see them. Here's a farm that was titled "Nisbet farm" but I'm not positive which Nisbet it is.  I think Hugh, brother of my grandfather.
Hugh was county commissioner at one time and died in a car wreck in Chimacum.  Six months later, his brother (my grandfather) died of a heart attack. I have very few pictures of my grandfather, who came from Scotland. Wish I had more.
John Lambie Nisbet

Today I spent quite a while sorting and deleting and cleaning up various notebooks and computer files.  It's kind of like having a job.  I looked on Facebook to find pictures to share since I haven't been out and about to take any lately.  These are the ones I chose for today......
 Mary Gaboury (on the right) with her sister and nephew, Mike, at the Deleo Derby this past Saturday at the fairgrounds.
                                                    Mary looks pretty colorful, doesn't she?
 Here's the sign they had hung --in reference to an old tavern their family owned years ago.
Joanne Plattner Bennett posted this. She's second from the left and her sister, Patty, is standing in back.
On the left, is Sally Eldridge, class of 1960.  I never would have recognized her.

Mary sent me updates on Jake so of course, I have to post those.  They went to Port Townsend and Fort Worden with their German guests.  Lee & Elaine Arey came down to say hello.
Jake loved the beach and loved watching the water on the ferryboat ride over.

Isn't that just the cutest picture ever?!  I love it.
Yesterday they went to the lake and he had a wonderful time there but was ready to go home at the end of the day.

This is another of my favorites.  Heck!  I love all of 'em!  They thought he would sleep good that night but Mary suspects he's cutting teeth again as he was fussy all night long. She ended up rocking him in her arms in the rocking chair most of the night.

It started to warm up in here after the sun got over on this side of the house so I quickly closed the blinds and curtains and set up three fans.  Also put on my sun dress.  It's very comfy but one of those that I can only wear in the house.

I got a movie in the mail today that I ordered for my sister since she couldn't get it from the library.  I'm going to watch it first. Called "Random Passage."  I thought I would sleep good last night since I had insomnia the night before and while I did get some zzz's in, I tossed and turned a lot.  My shoulder was acting up mostly and it was plenty sore this morning.  I got up at 7 and then took a two-hour nap in the recliner from 10-12.  I also needed to cover up with a blanket 'cause I was cold.  Something tells me my circulation is shot.

 Les Walden sent me some really cool pictures in an email this morning.  So good that I sent them to Walgreens to get reprints.  Here's five of my favorites. I'll try to remember to add more the next time I blog.


                                           mail pick up in the 1900's
                                                        football game in 1944
                                                              going inner tubing
                                                             a supermarket in 1964

                                                  segregated Orange  Bowl in 1955

This was kind of surprised me.  Shows exactly how far we've come.

No comments:

Post a Comment