My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Thursday, August 14, 2014

scanning, sorting, visiting

Pulled out my suitcase this morning but intend to wait until tomorrow to get busy with the packing and all the chores that goes with it.  I cleaned up a few more computer files and came across some old newspaper clippings that I thought I would scan.  I've probably shared these before but they interest me so that's all that matters.
Here's a 1947 (I think) Leader article about the kids parade.   I recognize pretty much all the names of the kids that took part.  My aunt Velna is also mentioned in the last paragraph.  She was always a first class seamstress and her talents were put to use all her life. Here's a picture of her busy at her old Singer.
The article talks about the costumes she made and this picture shows my cousin, Arlie on the left in the turtle outfit, and cousin Lee Arey in the rabbit costume.
I think if you click on the article, you can read it better. At least I hope so.
This next photo shows my Aunt Velna watching the kids parade in 1951 as Denny and I go by with the float she made along with Denny's mom, Lorraine Blankenship. The Leader article mentions us getting third prize.



The city was busy working on my alley all morning long so I decided to take pictures as they worked along and finished up.





This picture of Maddie appeared in the Peninsula Daily News a while back. Hunter (also straight A's) was in an earlier picture but I didn't get one of those.
Some of these I've already posted on Facebook but I know not everyone goes to that website. Here's a postcard picture of All View Motel in 1962 when Ruth and Sharon and I lived in the unit on the left facing the street. And, how it looks today.  I pass it frequently on my way to the library.

My brother and sister-in-law stopped in this afternoon. I haven't seen them in some time so it was a nice surprise.  They were in town getting their new car serviced. They bought a Prius in June.
Can't think of much else right now.  Maybe I'll take a quick little nap. Well nuts!  I just tested out the newspaper articles and you can't read them unless you increase your monitors read view to 200%. (under zoom)

Oh....and here's a song I heard in the car that for some reason...I love!  AC/DC has never been a group I listened to but I do like the guy singing this.


No comments:

Post a Comment