My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Sunday, August 10, 2014

Whew! Tad warm today...

Guess who's sitting here with no bra on.  I've got three fans going in this room; shut up the windows, closed the blinds and curtains and am hoping for a cool down.  It's only 6:45 pm  right now, though, so I know I'm looking at a good two hours yet.

I spent a good part of the day watching old VHS movies.  Well, actually I mostly just had them playing in the background.  It got too warm to be online and since my ancestry subscription ran out yesterday, I wasn't tempted to look up "just one more thing."

Three things on my to-do list tomorrow.  Mail off a book (sold it on Ebay) and thanks to Hunter for letting me know.  He's been having so much activity on there with his selling and buying (he uses my account) that I seldom go look to see if any activity is mine.  Also have to have a 9 a.m. telephone pre-surgery appt so they can instruct me on what I have to do when I go in the following Monday for my pre-appt in person.  Then I have to get a hold of the PA and PT newspapers so I can submit Linda's obit for Mel.

Supposed to be hot again tomorrow so I don't plan on exerting myself too much.  I did get some ironing done this morning. Had some t-shirts I needed to look halfway decent for when I pack them in my suitcase next Friday.  I also baked a one-crust apple pie.  Needed to use up the last three apples but unfortunately, I think my oven get hotter than it needs to as I  almost burnt the thing.  Still eatable, though.  I'm going to have to remember to cut down the bake time for stuff I make as I've been burning things a little too frequently.

Today is my daughter Sue's 18th wedding anniversary. I don't think they did anything special. Too hot out.
I went to the fair yesterday and took these pictures --
 The  PTHS alumni booth.  I bought a ticket hoping to win one of the gift baskets. Both had really cool stuff in them (thanks to Kris Logue who put them together)
                                            Joanne Gilles, me, and Linda Pedersen.
              me and Wendy Davis who is running for sheriff. Her dad is Phil Spindor.
 Gary and Chris Kolsky.  I've been to their house a couple time to pick blackberries but won't make it this year.
 Linda Germeau and Sheryl Herzog.  Not sure if I'm getting Sheryl's name right. She's Wendy's mom
                                                       Dave and Helen Marriott
                                                                         Jim Kiesel

I sure enjoyed the movies I watched today.  First off was The Searchers with John Wayne in 1956.  I looked up details about the movie on IMDB and I may have to watch it again so I can try and spot the errors.  I read.....

As the cavalry approaches and begins to cross the snow-covered river to the left, an automobile appears and drives to the right-hand corner of the shot and stops just beyond a tree.

During the snowy creek crossing, a woman on horseback can clearly be seen wearing sun-glasses.

Although the movie is set between 1868 and 1873, several characters are seen wearing Levi's jeans (complete with stitching on the back pocket and signature red Levi's tag). Levi's didn't patent a blue jean until 1873, and the name "Levi's" wasn't patented until 1928.

There were several references to the guns not being in the right era too.

The second movie I watched was 'The Big Chill.'  Interesting tidbit on that movie was that
 Kevin Costner who played Alex (the guy who's funeral they had come to attend) had his scenes cut so we never got to see him.

The third movie was Parenthood.  Steve Martin has long been my favorite comedian. Great flick!

Boy, I sure am thankful my surgery is getting closer  This shoulder of mine is really giving me a lot of grief. Sleep is hit and miss and I'm achy and uncomfortable with almost every movement I make.  I sure hope that physical therapy goes well (and quickly) so I can get the left side done as soon as possible.


I did get IDs on an old picture I was trying to identify. Thanks Helen.

The House was the Drake family's home, just above my parents new house on  1054 Quincy.   The two little boys to the right are my brothers, Tom and Harry. The girls on the sled on the right are Diane Drake(Lux) and , in back, my sister Anne Woods (Plut).  I was not born yet..... probably 7 or 8 years later.    It is a cute picture... and Great Snow... we always LOVED it!! Anne is 79  so it's quite a while ago!

Here's a picture of the tractor my grandson restored. He's entering it in the fair this week.


I watched golf most of the afternoon, except for the nap I took halfway through  And that was my weekend.  Exciting, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment