My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Trying to wake up

This hot weather does a number on my energy level.  I fall in bed exhausted to the bone and wake up feeling the same way.  I was thankful, though, that I didn't have to transfer to my recliner during the night.  Went to get an EKG yesterday morning. It was normal.  I pretty much spent the rest of the day researching on ancestry.com.  I cancelled my subscription although I can continue to use the site until this weekend.  Which means Friday since I'm going to the fair Saturday morning.  I plan to stop by Mary Gaboury's yard sale in Hadlock too. She brought her stuff over to Mosher's house which is right next to QFC.  They have a sale every summer.

Looks like it's going to be a little cooler than yesterday.  I think I'll head out to the back deck and prune a few flower pots.  Maybe I'll start my spider web cleanup today too.  I need to go through the whole house knocking down web strings I can't actually see but I know they're up there.

My latest genealogy search has been centered on trying to find where my grandpa was in 1900.  Since the 1890 census was lost in a fire, my search for the things I'm most interested in learning about are really buried in a mystery.
This picture was taken about that time but I sure can't figure out where he was. His mother died in Salem in 1898 and his dad moved to Independence to live with one of his daughters.  One brother was living in PeEll, Lewis Co Wa and another was in Eola, Polk Co, OR.  I'm pretty sure his oldest sister was in Independence and another sister was in Pendleton, but I can't find listings for his other siblings:
Lizzie, Mattie, and Zadoc.  I'm fairly confident they were all somewhere in Oregon, though.  In the 1910 census, I found Mattie in Suver; Zadock in Howell, and Lizzie in Zumwalt.  All Oregon towns.

My grandpa (Lew Gene) married in 1903 in Winlock and by the 1910 census, he had two kids and was
living in Eola.  All  his kids were born in different towns as they traveled around to work on farms or in the woods.  My dad and his twin were born in Galvin (outside Centralia) in 1923 and by 1928, Grandpa moved to Port Townsend. All six of his kids settled there (at least for part of their lives) and Grandpa stayed until his death in 1960.

I've tried different spellings of Blankenship hoping to pinpoint where he was but my searches have come up with no results.  Maybe I'll focus on Washington towns today and then head back to various Oregon counties.

I did connect yesterday (via email) with somebody in the courthouse in Ramsey, IL where Grandpa was  born.  A girl there said she'd try to locate his birth certificate for me.  Am hoping she comes up with it.

I also plan to thin out some of my pictures today.  It really goes against my grain to dispose of a photo but I don't know what else to do with them.  I have a lot of doubles and triples of the same picture and most are probably of no interest to anyone except me.

Once I give it up on the computer each day, I move on to watching Netflix or Amazon Prime shows on tv.  I'm into the third season of Oz (really graphic and violent but I seem to like it)  ha ha ha ha
I started watching Vegas with Randy Quaid and Michael Chiklis (ages 60 & 51) and it's kind of neat to see the old 50's cars they use for background.  I also like watching Jonathan Banks (age 67).  He plays bad guys and was terrific in Breaking Bad.  One of the inmates on Oz looks just like Don Wilson did in his younger years.  I see Don every time I watch him.

Well, maybe I'll go outside and do my pruning now.  I need some fresh air to help wake me up. Coffee just isn't doing it today.

No comments:

Post a Comment