My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Monday, July 13, 2015

Guess I'd better get back in the saddle

I feel like my summer has been slipping away 'cause I'm still feeling the effects of my June 25 "cold."
Went to the doctor twice and got an antibiotic the second time along with an inhaler.  I think I'm coughing and spitting a little less but not cured yet.  I've heard this strain of bronchitis can linger. At least I'm up and dressed and able to get small chores done here and there.   I've been wanting to get out in the yard to prune overgrown bushes and do some weeding (plus the garage needs a cleaning) but that will have to wait until next month, I suppose.

I'll content myself with computer work and various hobbies in the house.  Am halfway through a neat jigsaw puzzle (thanks Ann!) and yesterday I finished the front of a small crib quilt.  Maybe I can try to get the batting and back on today.  Small steps.  As usual, my quilts look like originals. Meaning I'm confident there's no other blanket that comes even close to resembling my design.  Ha! I had some old embroidery squares I had sewn years ago so I put them together with some material I bought in a local fabric store. Should have taken more time to look over their selections but I was in a hurry.  Once I sewed them together, the size was off so I used other miscellaneous strips to make the blanket wider. I find it difficult to throw any scrap of material away.

The squares don't align but I was way beyond caring about that! I'll do better on the next one.

Granddaughter Catie shared a picture on FB this morning of the view from her office in downtown Seattle.  I'm so proud of her.
Andy & Mary departed for San Diego this morning with Jake, Hunter, and Maddie in tow. They'll have a blast. Here's a picture of my dad back in 1965 when he came down to San Diego to visit and we took a stroll through the San Diego Zoo with Susan in a stroller. Les is in the background.


Mary attended her 30th high school reunion this past weekend at Fort Worden Beach. Think I'll go hunt for a couple of the pictures I saw on FB.


Here's one I posted from my 30th reunion in Port Townsend -- 24 years ago!
One day last week after I made a quick run for groceries, I came into the house and heard the neighbor's three little dogs making a racket over the fence. I knew their owners weren't home and the dogs seemed in distress so I went outside to see what the problem was.  They were scratching and whining like crazy against the fence and as I approached on my side, I discovered what had them in a frenzy.
A big ole nasty dead rat!  Ugh!  Wonder what killed him. Also wonder why he was in my yard as I quit feeding the birds the last time I saw a rat out there.  Maybe it was the tiny bit of seed left in one of the feeders. Can't imagine he'd go up the cement bird bath I keep filled with water.  I just wasn't up to picking up the critter so I sent my grandson and son-in-law messages to drop in when they could.
Neither showed up.  A few days later I found the rat in the middle of the yard. Suspect the crows pulled him out there as they've been making themselves at home in the bird baths this past month.  Anyhow, I went to get plastic bags and decided I'd bite the bullet and throw him in the trash.  I do not like rodents!

Just paid for my car tabs online. Am going to try and write up another Leader blog post today about swim lessons at Adelma Beach back in the day. Got a few comments on FB with the picture I posted so I think there's enough to write a short piece.

Saturday (surely I'll be okay to travel by then) I plan on going to the graveside service in Chimacum for my ole pal, Susie Bishop.  Depending on how I'm feeling, I might drop in at my class reunion picnic in Port Ludlow afterwards.  I want to go but not if I'm still in "spit mode."  Ha!

Meanwhile, here's a picture Mary sent me of Jacob a few days ago. He's always looking out the window. Loves to be outside and throws a real tizzy fit when he's carried back in.
And last but not least, here's a cartoon I saw on Facebook that made me laugh out loud.


No comments:

Post a Comment