My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Saturday, July 4, 2015

I'm sick of this heat!

Not having much luck with staying cool this week.  My a/c unit kept leaking so I had Hunter take it to the garage.  Just could't go through the motions of cleaning up water pools again.  And one of my other fans quit altogether too.  I ran to Walmart but all the had was 9" fans so I bought that (and cough syrup) to get me through the next few days.  Stopped at Walgreens and they one tower fan left so I took it.
It was assembled except for the base but that particular base gave me a world of trouble.  Mainly the attached cord.  Wasn't sure if I was supposed to take off the protective plastic near the base.  I took a picture and emailed it to Mary and she thought I should probably remove it.  Getting it off wasn't that easy but I couldn't reach anybody at Jen's so I sat there a while trying to figure it out on my own.

I hear a knock at the door AND WAS THRILLED!  Figured whoever it was would surely be able to help me.  There stood an elderly gentleman in a tie.  I looked at him and what he was holding...
"Hey!  Is that a Bible?" I croaked.  (my cough is worse in the morning and I am very hoarse....pretty sure it's allergies)  Anyhow, I beckoned him in and he backed off -- didn't want to catch my germs.

I assured him I wasn't contagious; just suffering from  the heat and allergies.  I explained to him that I was sitting there pondering this problem and wondering who I could ask.  When I heard the knock on my door, I knew it was God sending me aid.  So in came my Jehovah Witness guy.  I showed him my fan problem and he felt the plastic needed to stay on. Helped me tape it back together, snap the base together, and screw it in.  Now that's it's up and running, I don't think it's all that great a fan but oh well, it's better than nothing.

I asked him why he was out in this heat and he said:  Well, you know, I guess we're all a little crazy sometimes.  ha ha

After he left, Wayne and Hunter stopped in (I thought they had gone to Forks but nope, they're staying home). Hunter carried the a/c to the garage and I'm proceeding now to figure out which room I want to situate myself in to ride out the rest of the day.  Probably going to be my bedroom since there's a recliner in there and a tv.

Woke up this morning to find a text on my phone telling me a close friend had passed away last night.  What a shock!  I knew her heart was giving her problems but didn't realize she was having surgery.  Apparently, she had a stroke and died shortly after.  Makes me sad.  So sad.  I adored her.
RIP Susie Bishop Bara.  She graduated from Chimacum in 1960 and we lived together for a time in Portland. Her, me and Sharon Sofie. Oh the laughs we had!
Happy Birthday to my friend, Kathy Snyder here in P.A. and Happy Birthday to my half-sister, JoAn in Pennsylvania (age 62) and HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my brother, Les. (age 68)

I'm off to the recliner now.  Dreading the late afternoon when the house turns into an oven.  Am praying no one gets the brilliant idea to shoot off fireworks on this street. The entire block across from my house is bone dry weeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment