My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Just Thinkin' about my Dad today

I posted my dad and his twin brother's graduation picture on Facebook today after my cousin, Cindy, asked me if they were identical or fraternal.  I had to Google it as I wasn't sure.  Google said even twins who are the spitting image of each other can still be fraternal as it all depends on whether there was one sac or two in the womb.  You can find out with DNA but since dad and Jim are both gone now, I guess I'll just assume they were fraternal. I've never thought they looked identical anyhow. That got me to looking at my old photos and I decided I'd post a bunch of them through the years.
                                                                John & Jim at 5 months
                                                              Probably around 1 year old
                                                          Maybe 3 or 4 years old
 Teenagers with their bikes. One of my favorite pictures. That's my bedroom window next to them
                                                   Teens hiking on Mt. Walker
                                                            Jim's graduation in 1942
                                                       John's graduation in 1942
                              John, George, Jim, Lyall in 1960s at Chetzemoka Park kitchen
                                         Claude, John, Jim, George in about 1992
                                          Family picnic at Chetzemoka about 1993
                                                          Jim Elva, John in the 90's
                                               Jim shortly before he died in 2008
                                                 John, about 3-1/2 weeks before he died in 2009


I took a 2-hr nap today so I'm feeling kinda groggy.  Last night I was up past midnight watching a movie on Netflix. 'Tracks' about a girl who walked across Australia.  Normally I never stay up that late but the neighbors with the yappy dogs were gone all day and night and finally returned at 10:45 pm.  Those dogs yapped and howled the entire time. I'm going to have to have a talk with them, I think, as I can't even leave my sliding glass door open and it's starting to agitate big time!

Hmmmm...just saw a deer hopping like a bat out of hell up the street.  And then.....here comes this large black dog chasing like a greyhound.  I wonder who's gonna win that race.

Hunter came over to help me take these very old casters off this very old desk I have.  He's gonna help me sand it down and tomorrow we'll go see about new casters so it will roll better. I think the ones on there now were from an old crib I had in 1964.

Last night since I was up late, I did two loads of laundry.  I got up at 6 a.m. (cause my body won't do what I tell it to anymore) so I folded the clothes and had my household chores done early.  Decided to make a quick Walmart run as I wanted to pick up a small TV for my sewing room. Figure I'm going to be spending a lot of time in there so I might as well make it cozy.  I also rearranged my cutting table to open up the room more.

I've got a really cool quilt book that allows you to follow precise patterns step-by-step with diagrams and pictures.  A huge help for someone who struggles with directions.

Well, I think I'll go throw something in the oven for supper.

1 comment:

  1. I love looking at pictures, especially the old ones. They all have a story. Even if I don't know the subjects of the photo, I try to figure out the relationships. I look for family resemblances. I like to try to figure out who the people in the photo are - who did they love? What did they believe?

    You are smart to have saved your pictures, Joyce. Mine are in two storage sheds, one in Portland and one in Nampa, Idaho. One of these days, I'm going home. I'm going to collect those pictures and I'm going to drive to Port Angeles and bore you to death with Logans and more Logans!

    ReplyDelete