My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Sunday, July 26, 2015

Sunday morning

9:30 a.m. and I've been up for over 3 hours already.  Been puttering around the house tidying up, rearranging knickknacks, working a crossword puzzle online, checking out Facebook, writing a couple emails, and wandered around outside to water the beans and flowers, refill the bird baths, and check the locks on the gates.  Neither of them work real well.  They lock but it takes a lot of work manually to get the lock to snap in place.  I'm not going to waste any energy on them.

Yesterday when Sue was here to help me weed the area under my front window, I had her retrieve some green and blue glassware from a high shelf near the ceiling as I wanted to clean them and put them in windows.  I also had her move my sailboat mobile so it hangs over the tv and I can see it better. Sometimes you just have to dink around and put things in different spots.  At least I do.  She showed interest in an old teddy bear I've had since probably 1948 or 1949. Teddy was threadbare and homely but he'd followed me around everywhere I went throughout my life.  She asked if she could have it when I'm gone. (My kids mention things they'd like to have "when" a little more frequently as I age.  Ha!)  Anyhow, for whatever reason, I was ready to let old Teddy go so he left with her. I may have to have her bring it back one day, though, as I couldn't find a picture of him anywhere.
Here's a partial pic of my greens and blues.....



It sure felt great to see the afterwards photos of the weeding and landscaping that Sue did for me out front.





She arrived at noon so I spent the morning cleaning out the garage. Way too many spiders for my liking, but it looks a whole lot better.
Even though I had to sit down now and again to get a second wind, I still was suffering bigtime at the end of our work party.  We made a trip over to Airport Nursery to pick up four little plants and I discovered standing and walking was becoming an issue.  Man, I hate it when that happens!  While Sue finished putting the plants in the ground, I came in the house to change clothes, take an iboprofen, and put ice on my low back and left foot.

I've noticed for years that my left foot is bigger than my right. I think a lot of people have that. What I don't understand, however, is the big ole cyst/lump thingie that swells up on the outside of my foot when I stand too long.  Kind of in front of the ankle.  My walker is on loan so I debated about pulling out my dad's ole cane, but I opted instead just to stay off my feet for an hour or so.  I'm good at that!

I tried to sit down on this old shower stool I have  to pull weeds but my "new shoulder" is still very sensitive to stretching and pulling so I'm limited to what I can do. So aggravating.  I feel pretty much the cripple with a new right shoulder and new left knee -- both don't feel new to me!  And I'm suspecting my knee will never feel right again.  I'd been told that having a knee replacement would make all the difference in the world and I'd feel wonderful.  Nope.  Not in my case.  I'm still taking steps one at a time GOING DOWN but I can usually walk normally going up.  Have noticed, however, that I need a hand rail BOTH WAYS!  On the other hand, I am thankful I'm still up and moving.  I am suspecting, though, that the day isn't too far off when I'll want to have a walking stick with me when I'm out and about. Or a cane.  I remember my dad fought against using a cane in public when he really should have been using one.  He went through the same thing when he graduated to a walker.  During the last phase when a wheelchair was needed, I think he was resigned that age was winning the battle.

Well, I've got the whole day ahead of me to do as I please.  Since I've got a tv in my sewing room now, I think I'm gonna work on quilt squares patterns.  Genealogy keeps calling my name too so I'll most likely play around with that throughout the week.

Here's the latest picture of Jacob. Such a busy little bee.

And my first grandchild, Catie, is busy at Renton Days Celebration with her booth. Sure hope she sells lots of stuff.


No comments:

Post a Comment