My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Ahhhh.. finding memories....

It's been kind of a fun morning for me.  I spent a couple hours moving photos around from one place to another on my family tree project.  I have a folder for 'aunts and uncles'.  Each one has their own folder and inside each folder are sub folders.  One has history data on the person and the other folder has photos.  The photo folder has another sub folder with pictures of the kids and grandkids of each aunt and uncle.  To get it just the way I want it may never happen but it keeps me occupied.  Now I'm thinking I might need to scan in more photos from my pictures boxes just so I'll have them saved in a good place.  We'll see....

I have more info on certain aunts and uncles than I do others.  I realize that more as I try to fill up each folder.  I don't know, for example,  if my Aunt Elva  graduated high school, and if she did, from what town?  I did write to the Centralia High School to see if they had a record but I'm not really confident I'll hear back.  I do think her older sister, Velna, might have graduated from there as I vaguely recall seeing her yearbook once.  Velna was an artist and was noted for designing the school emblem the year she was a senior.

Anyhow, in trying to add more history on each relative, I'm referring back to a book I wrote 12 years ago where I asked various cousins and other relatives to answer questions on various subjects.  I'm really glad I put that book together as I know it will be interesting to the generations to come.  Well, some of the people in future generations will find it intriguing.  Every family has a collection of history buffs and a collection of folks who couldn't care  less.

I got a kick out of rereading some of the answers I posed back then and am thinking it might make a fun Town Kid blog on the Leader website.  Especially since it's been kind of hard to come up with topics lately.

One of the questions was this:

Who was the most famous person you ever met?

The answers:

My dad:  Tyrone Power was in my marine regiment. I used to stand by him in the chow line.

Marcella Blankenship:  Governor Dan Evans

Arlie Blankenship: Dahli Lama

Janie Lammers: JP Patches and Gertrude

Jimmy Blankenship: Singer Gail Davies

Sue Schipper: Sky King. He gave me a glossy picture with his best regards and I thought he really meant it.

Marlee Morin; He's not that famous but the mayor of Gig Harbor.

Cindy Renner: I once rode a plane from Oahu to Maui with Phil Donahue and Marlo Thomas but I never really met them. Same thing with Kurt Russell only it was from Seattle to L.A.

Sue Weinstein: I served author Frank Herbert tea when I worked at the Water St. Deli in Port Townsend. My husband played tennis with OJ Simpson 30 years ago at his dad's country club.

Mary Krogermeier:  Barry Manilow and Jamie Lee Curtis

Joe Baldridge: Louis Gossett, Jr.

Me:   Roy Orbison, JP Patches, Gertrude, and Sheriff Tex.  (makes me laugh to even type that)

No comments:

Post a Comment