My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Monday, October 20, 2014

Working on the Holt side of the family now

I’ve been browsing around on genealogy websites to find more data on my grandmother’s side of the family, the Holts. I just looked up and discovered that lunch time was an hour ago and I missed it.  Hmmm…maybe this is my new weight loss program.  Ha!  I wish.

I’ve got quite a bit here and there on the Holts but I need to get my notes organized into a better reader-friendly mode.  I also need to see if I can’t locate some Holt relatives who might be able to help me identify old photos I’ve hung on to for several years.  My dad had them in a shoebox and said they belonged to his mother.  She died when he was 15 so I know I’m lucky these survived.

The surname of HOLT was a locational name meaning 'the dweller at the holt' from residence near a wood or grove.  I found Littleberry Holt’s bio kind of interesting because of his name. Never heard of someone called Littleberry before.  I’ll have to research and see where that comes from.

Littleberry Holt married Susanna Driskill.  Her mother (Lodusky Cobb) was a full blooded Cherokee. One of their sons, Larkin Holt, was killed by a Sioux Indian attack led by White Bull, brother of Sitting Bull, in an attack on US Army wagon supply train, Sept 1865, at the Powder River, MT.

Another son, James R. Holt, worked as a blacksmith and married Martha Stark. Her folks gave them 80 acres in MO but they eventually sold out and moved to TX to be by her brother, Isaac. James worked as a blacksmith but also raised cattle and traded in livestock. He moved back to MO again to be by relatives. He was in the Masons and was elected a county judge. He bought a hotel in Purdy, MO and while working on a ladder, a rung broke. He fell and punctured a lung and never fully recovered.

One of James and Martha’s sons was George Washington Vernon Holt. He was born in Missouri, and married Mary Ellen Weatherly, who was born in Nashville. Mary Ellen’s folks were Yancy Weatherly and Emily Jane Brannock. 

G.W.V. Holt and Mary Ellen had a daughter named Viola Mae who married Lew Gene Blankenship. They, in turn, had twins, John and James…and here I am! 

Attached is a picture of the farmhouse where my grandmother grew up in Oak Harbor.


And for those of you who don’t do Facebook, here’s a friend of mine at her retirement party in Port Townsend last Friday….Judi Robbins, beautician.



And of course, the latest on Jacob, who loved the pumpkin patch.


No comments:

Post a Comment