My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Monday, October 6, 2014

Another day around the house

I haven't really done all that much today.  But who cares?  I know I don't.  I froze a few cartons of applesauce on Saturday thanks to the apples Joanne Gilles gave me.  Made three pies too.  Somehow or another I managed to dirty up most of my pans and several large bowls in the process.  I didn't have any shortening in the house so I decided to use Imperial margarine for the crust.  Won't do that again.  My crusts usually turn out very tasty but I felt these were too tough; at least the outside crusts were.  I don't make pies much anymore.  Too much trouble.

I ordered a couple books on half.com about eating gluten free and dairy free.  Interesting topic.  I don't think I would have that big a problem going vegetarian because there are so many tasty alternatives.  It is hard to get started, however.  Especially when you read the stuff that is suggested you fill your pantry with to get going.  At 71 years of age, I don't know if I can get all that dedicated to changing how I eat.  I do realize, of course, that some changes do have to be made.  My "innards" are telling me that loud and clear from time to time.

I would like to try a few things.  Like buying sea salt, and several other products I read about that sound like something worth investing in.  To go fullboard, though, would take a lot of persistence.  Like buying jam with no sugar, natural peanut butter, omitting almost all the breakfast cereals I like, and trying new things I've never even heard of before.  We'll see how it goes.  Baby steps.

One thing I'm working on is keeping sweets and ice cream and chocolate and bread out of the house.
I mess up from time to time but I am making some progress.  Haven't bought ice cream but I did stop at Dairy Queen a few days ago for a small ice cream cone to eat on my way home.  I haven't bought bread but I did go to Subway yesterday for a foot-long.  Managed to make two lunches out of it and I forgave myself because I had spinach, cucumbers, and tomatoes with the chicken.

One healthy snack I'm having is grapes.  I have them sitting in a covered bowl in the freezer and grab one to suck and eat when I'm really wanting a cookie instead.  It's working but no, I'm fairly certain I haven't lost any weight yet.  Gotta get outside and start walking.

 I  still need a nap most days but I'm okay with that.  If I'm really tired and don't want to get up from a nap, then I'm feeling groggy and defeated.  At least I'm able to sleep a little better at night than I was.  I still toss and turn a lot from my shoulders and neck but I'll deal with it one night at a time.  Think I'll go back to the memory foam mattress again tonight to see if I do any better.

The national news continues to give me the heebie jeebies.  That Isis group....good Lord but they're an evil bunch of idiots!  Kind of reminds me of Hitler and his tactics of decades past.  We never seem to run out of crazies.  And then there's the viruses working their way around the globe to try and wipe us out.  Have to read up on  revelations in the Bible again as I know there was talk about plagues during the final days.  Kind of makes me want to rethink changing the way I eat sometimes.  Who really cares if we're all going to die anyhow?!  (spoken like a person with an obvious eating disorder)  ha ha

I finished my Johnny Cash jigsaw puzzle today.  (Bob Dylan a few days prior)  Love those 300 piece ones as they're a little difficult but not that bad.

Here's my apple project progression.  I know...boring....but until I get back out in the world, this is all I got.


And here's one of Jake waiting patiently in line at Costco.
I haven't actually watched too many of the new tv shows being offered this fall so far.  Most seem to be aimed at younger audiences and the themes bore me to tears.  I do kind of like Madam Secretary about a woman who is secretary of state for the US.  Netflix and Amazon Prime continue to keep me entertained most nights.  I find my attention level varies and I can get easily bored if I'm not in the right mood.

Am loving The Incredible Dr. Pol (about a vet in Michigan)  and Big Love about families in Utah who have multiple wives.   Perhaps it's my level of tolerance but it seems to me that more and more tv personalities are nauseatingly stuck on themselves.  I'd watch 'The Voice' if I didn't think the judges were spending way too much time showing off. Same with Dancing with the stars, and most all of the daytime talk shows.

I used to really like talk shows.  MCs like Merv Griffin, Donahue, Mike Douglas, Oprah, etc were more relaxing and entertaining.  I can't hardly stomach watching Ellen anymore as she's too busy playing stupid games and giving screaming audience members prizes. Meredith Vieira used to be a lot better but now she's just copying Ellen's show and it falls flat. I can't stand listening to Kelly Ripa, Sharon Osbourne, Whoopie, or Barbara Walters.  Yeah, I know. I sound like I don't like anyone.  Ha Ha  And sometimes I don't!  I spend a lot of time with remote in hand and yelling out loud...YOU SUCK!

And on that note....here's something I do like.... A WHOLE LOT....The Band



No comments:

Post a Comment