My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Thursday, December 11, 2014

Rain and joints

I've heard that rain or damp weather can make peoples joints hurt. I suppose that doesn't apply to fake joints, though, does it?  I've been suffering for three days with significant shoulder pain and I can't help but wonder what brought it on.  Oddly, only certain movements send me through the roof, and when I repeat that movement (thinking I need to exercise the arm more), the pain doesn't return.  I can do all my exercises just fine but every once in a while, I can reach or bend and get hit with the pain again.

If it was just a twinge I'd ride it out but these aren't little twinges; they're downright mean!  You always wonder when you've got foreign objects under your skin how things are holding up in there.  I suppose it's possible that this is just something I'm going to have to learn to live with from here on out.  Man, I hope not.  It's bad enough that my knee still doesn't feel 100%.

I try to look on the bright side as much as I can 'cause I know only too well that any number of things can go wrong with your body as you age.  I'm thankful I'm still mobile and can tend to my own errands and chores.  Sooner or later (unless I drop dead) the day's 'gonna come when I'll need a caregiver.  Actually, there are days I wish I had one now.  ha ha

I made a Walmart run early this morning as my cupboards were bare and I'm thinking I might make up some cookie packages.  Also intend to have a lasagna dinner and invite my two Port Angeles daughters and their husbands.  Cooking and baking are two things I used to participate in a lot but the past few years, I just haven't felt up to it. Easier to order a pizza or some other fast food.

I decided to buy the ingredients to make some cookies I haven't made in years.  That decision ended up costing a pretty penny  as I had to invest in several items I never buy ... like sweet milk, butterscotch chips, walnuts, maraschino cherries, coconut, and others.  Found a recipe to make Snapple tea too so I had to buy the ingredients for that.  And lasagna isn't a cheap buy either when you decide to make it from scratch.

I was going to drive  into PT today but postponed the trip until next week.  Just driving across town to Walmart in the pouring down rain was more stress than I needed.  I'm hoping things calm down by Saturday as I have to drive almost 40 miles to meet up with my ride taking me to Renton.

Last night I settled down in the recliner and started a new afghan.  I found all the various colored yarns I wanted to use up and one particular shade needed to be untangled and rolled into a ball.  I told myself (as the job started to drag on and on and on) that I wasn't going to bed until I had it in a ball.
At 1:15 I gave up and went to bed.  I never stay up that late so I was kind of interested to see who would be on the late night talk shows.  I kept switching from one channel to another. Nobody of interest and the skits and jokes were flat and dull.  Although you wouldn't know that to see the reruns on the morning shows who talked about how "they were all over the internet as interest surged. Baloney!  Who believes that junk?

I surfed around on Amazon and Netflix trying to settle on something I'd put in my queue.  I watched one episode of Grimm which was okay so I may go back to it. I'm usually not into wizard/monster/witch stuff, though.  I watched the first episode of The Stand but found it was making me kind of depressed.  Tried Louie CK Shameless and it was too vulgar. History of Drunks was too dumb and a couple of others got deleted as well.  I watched Justified and liked that okay and will probably get back into Sons of Anarchy.  I've seen most of the shows but not the last two seasons I think.

I did watch a terrific movie called Unfinished Song starring Terence Stamp and Vanessa Redgrave. Seniors would like it more than young folks. I picked Maddie up at the high school at 5 pm yesterday as Jenni had a card making class to go to.  Drives me nuts when the kids go out with no hat, coat, or umbrella (when it's coming down in buckets).  Basketball practice was hard on her yesterday, I think, cause the game the day before had her out until midnight.  I don't think schools should play other schools that require kids to be on the bus that late on school nights.  Somebody needs to put their foot down. Playing sports is fine but you don't need to overdo it either!

Here's a picture she posted on FB which I think was on the way to the game.  Unless it was a previous game. Maddie's on the right.


No comments:

Post a Comment