My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Friday, December 5, 2014

Saga of the Red Shirt

Several years ago, my friend, Rosemary, (ex-sister-in-law) embroidered a few cartoon designs on this red denim long-sleeved shirt I had bought. She's got one of those fancy machines.  I wear it year-round cause it's just the right weight to have over a sweatshirt when it's chilly and just the right weight to wear over a t-shirt when it's warmer. Plus it's a comfortable shirt, and bright and cheerful.

The day we left her house with it, we stopped at a Barnes & Noble book store to browse.  A woman struck up a conversation with me and after a while, asked me what I did for a living.  I thought it was kind of odd and mentioned it to my daughter when we got to the car.  She laughed and said: She was probably hitting on you and you didn't even know it.  Must be that shirt you're wearing.

Ever since then, we refer to my favorite red shirt as the lesbian shirt.  It still makes us laugh.

Anyhow, today I had the shirt on and was leaving Walmart and walking across the parking lot to my car.  This guy (probably ten years younger but who can tell these days) walked alongside and said:
Are you the voice of Minnie Mouse?

Huh?

Minnie Mouse.  Are you the voice Disney uses?

I laughed and replied that no, and that has to be the oddest question I've ever been asked.

He went on to tell me that he heard there was a woman who lives in either Sequim or Port Angeles who always wears red and who was the original voice of Minnie Mouse.

I thought about it later as I drove away.  Had either of the twins been with me, they would have made cracks about how "he wanted me."   They make comments like that everytime ANY male and I exchange words.

Now I'm wondering...is my shirt a date magnet?  I probably should start wearing it more frequently. You never know.......

No comments:

Post a Comment