My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Sunday, March 3, 2013

Sammy goes home

Well, I did it again. Sat here on Ancestry.com  to the point of pain.  I'm quitting now and I'm sure my body will appreciate the gesture.  Just irritates me when I can't find one single thing I'm looking for. Even though you don't care, I'm sharing it anyhow.......

My great grandmother,  Jane Downs, was born in DE in 1840. But..... I can't find a record of her birth and I can't find a record of her dad or mom's birth or her folks' marriage or their deaths.  All I know is that her older sister married this guy name Charles Morris and when she married him, her name was Henrietta Charles, not Downs.

I've been able to track down Henrietta's life and her kids, etc. (even have a letter she wrote Jane) but I can't find a thing on their parents.  I do know Jane married Lewis M. Blankenship and I've pretty much tracked her from there but I'm curious how a Delaware girl got over to IL when she 19 to marry.  I guess there's more ways to track that I have to study up on.

I also found that Jane's dad (Benjamin) had four slaves but they didn't record first names way back then -- even for the white women and kids. Stupid, ignorant men!

Sammy spent the night and I had my camera ready when I knew Jenni was returning to pick him up. Always gives me a laugh to watch his happiness.





No comments:

Post a Comment