My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Sunday, March 17, 2013

St. Patrick's Day

I didn't have a spot of green on this morning so I went hunting for my St. Patrick's Day pin that I've had for years and years.
First day of spring is this coming Wednesday. I took a picture of my flower beds and am looking forward to those sprouting green shoots to turn into pretty tulips. Won't be long now. And here come the family of quail scooting across my yard. They've taken up living under my deck.
I took the memory foam piece off my bed yesterday to see if I'd sleep better on a firm surface. I had a tough night so back the foam goes as soon as I finish this post.  I had also taken off a blanket but I was up at 3 am. to put it back on. I think I'm trying to hurry spring along. I got up at 6 to finish sleeping in the recliner after turning the heat back on.  Next thing I knew it was 8 a.m.

I've been working steadily trying to find links to my g. grandmother, Jane Downs.  Yesterday, I finally found something.  I emailed the person on ancestry who is working on that line and now I have to hope and pray that he/she responds.  Often times people put their research aside and go on with their lives.  I found a few other references to the name, as well, so I'll eventually try to contact another.

By using clues from the 1896 letter I have from my g. grandmother's sister to her, I was able to find the sister's daughter and granddaughter.  Even printed off  a picture of the granddaughter in a yearbook shot of her at Wesley Junior College in Dover, Delaware.  Her name was Anise Chason. Eventually, my goal is to find out more about Jane's mother and the son she had named Charlie.

No school on Friday so I picked up the twins to go out for a burger at Jack in the Box. We parked at the usual bluff to watch the boats and a limo pulled in along side us.  Not a real long (or pretty) limo but still a limo.  A scruffy looking guy got out and came around to climb in the back seat with his buddies.  His sweat pants were low enough that I got a nice shot of his butt crack.  We kind of tee heed over that and pretty soon this other rough looking bum like character walks up with coffee in hand and climbs in with them.

I look over and notice one of them is smoking a pipe. Wasn't sure if it was crack or pot but with black windows, they had a handy little hideout.  Made for an interesting lunch, if nothing else.

Jenni posted pictures of the twins on Facebook so I grabbed one for my blog. This is Maddie's friend, Erin, and Hunter's friend, Malcolm.
 
The dance was at the Masonic Hall on Lincoln Street and attended by grades 6 to 9.  Was interesting for me to see the antique kitchen queen in the background of this photo. Reminded me of the first time I went to a junior high dance. I had stayed overnight at my cousin, Joan Arey Dubberly's, and she got me ready by fixing my hair and making sure I looked "cute."  I remember she put lipstick on me and I told her that dad didn't allow me to wear it.  She giggled and said: 'Well, who's gonna tell him?'  Funny the things that stick with you.
 
Tomorrow morning I'll be getting up early to load up the car for a trip to Port Townsend. Gonna take some photos at the mill retirement luncheon and then head out to Marrowstone Island to visit a friend before heading home.
 
Notice the trees are moving pretty good so I guess the wind is continuing his bluster for a while. I'm thinking of making a quick Safeway run to replenish the pantry a bit.  I've been very disinterested in cooking and my suppers have been on the dull side.  Maybe I'll get inspired to make something a little different today.
 
 
 
 
 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment