My neighborhood growing up

My neighborhood growing up
19th Street, Port Townsend

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Yard projects

Hunter cut my grass yesterday and even though it's mostly moss all the way around the house, it still looks better with a trim.  I'm not real knowledgeable about plants, flowers, trees, soil, fertilizer and such but I guess I'll have to educate myself as I go along.  I'm pretty sure the yard wasn't this moss-covered last year. The area has never been healthy looking even with the various attempts I've made at adding topsoil, aerating, watering, fertilizing, etc.

It would take a professional (and hundreds of dollars) to get the yard "pretty" but I've got other fish to fry and am not going to let it consume me.  I did spend 45 minutes this morning in prep work. That was about all my back could take and I'm determined to pace myself through the month of April as I try to get the yard spruced up a bit.

I did take some pictures this morning so I'll have "before and after" shots. First off, was my little tree on the curb.  I've thought, for sure, it was going to have to be dug up but I think the buds are coming in now and even though I don't like the 'moss-like' pieces I see on some of the limbs, I think I'll leave it be.
Here's  a view of a spot on the front lawn. Ugly close-up but tolerable from a distance.

I intend to work on three or four different areas in the front and back over the next few weeks.
 I'll be limited to what I can do here because of the deer who come in for a midnight snack -- and sometimes lunch in the middle of the day!

 My first area of attack will be along this fence that needs clippers and weeding so the tulips can thrive in a healthy spot.
 Counting pots on the side of the house that I have stored, I probably have close to 20 pots to pretty up with better soil and nice flowers. Maybe some vegetables too.  At least I can sit down to tackle this chore.
The tulips are getting close but haven't opened up yet. If the sun comes out this afternoon (or even if it doesn't) I think I'll get outside to clean up the bird feeders. I'd like to get them situated in the corner of the yard behind these tulips but the ground is like cement and I don't think I can get them staked.

Decided to pull out my CD collection and start playing them in the DVD each morning.  Took me forever to remember that I have to plug in the red,white, and yellow knobs to the front of the tv if I want to use the DVD player. Sometimes the mechanics of all the gadgets I own drive me crazy.  When I finally figured out what I was doing wrong, on comes Conway Twitty saying HELLO DARLIN'!  Made me laugh.

I watched a cute movie yesterday called 'The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants.'  Featured four teenage friends who all fit the same pair of jeans and mailed them to each other all summer as interesting things happened to them while they had them on.  A girl flick, for sure, but I liked it.

Gotta get busy now. Genealogy gets the rest of my morning and then it's back to yard work.

No comments:

Post a Comment